Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1973 2000 GTV, and I would like to upgrade my carburettor from a Solex to a Webber. I understand that of the three types of carbies used (randomly selected from the parts bin perhaps) Webber, Delorto and Solex - the Solex are the least favoured.

Can anyone recommend which webber size is the best for my alfa? I am basically deciding between the 40 DCOE and 45... Is bigger always better?

Thanks in advance.

This is my first post to the BB so be gentle ;)

Jason

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Hey Jason:

First, welcome to a great board and congrats on having a GTV. You will have to post some pics of your car in the photo gallery.

40 is what you need for a stock 2L. 45s will not do anything for you if you don't have a highly modified engine to take advantage of them. Most important thing is to make sure they are setup for the 2L in regards to chokes, jets, etc. I will defer to PapaJam (Jim from NJ) to advise you as to the appropriate setup you will need.

Best Regards and Welcome Aboard,
John M

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
I recommend a weber 40, for a stock 2000.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Welcome to the BB Jason!
I will third the recommondation for the 40 DCOEs for two reasons; 1) they are completely adequit for stock and slightly modified engines and 2) since they were the stock side draft issue for Alfa engines thru the 1750s, should be much more readily available at a cheaper price than the 45s.
The key in selecting a Weber is not the barrel size but the size of the choke (or venturi) based on the engine requirements. Stock 1750s came with a 32mm choke which will work for a 2l but will be somewhat restrictive at the high end especially with a modified engine with a higher redline. A 34mm choke would be a better choice. Keep in mind though, the largest choke that will fit in a 40 DCOE is 36mm. If your engine is highly modified, or you plan to modify it in the future, you may want to go with 45s which accepts chokes up to 40mm (I think).
If you can describe your engine mods, if any, that will help in determining the jetting.

Was that gentle enough? ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your advice guys. Based on the unanimous vote for a 40 DCOE, that is what I'll get.

Jim was right about the pricing too. I have a quote for both types which are as follows:

1. A second hand (described as good condition - I haven't seen them) pair of DCOE 40's for $350.00 AUD for both
2. A new pair of of DCOE 45's for $500.00 each

[BTW... 1AUD = ~0.67USD]

So in a way you have all saved me some money :D

Jase

1 - 5 of 5 Posts