Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m converting a SPICA 74 GTV to carbs: Weber’s. I have a manifold , bellcrank, and the carbs— but I don’t have an accelerator pedal assembly that will push from below rather than pull from above. Anybody got a spare hanging around? Also, will I need that separate bracket/support for this project? Prolly need that too!! Thanks, bob

·
Premium Member
4,508 Posts
I've got a bunch. Let me look around the shop tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jim. Here is the manifold I think I can use, throats are 40mm. I assume this is an ok manifold for the conversion, assuming the carbs has their own air cleaners? I have 40dcoe32 and two kinds of carb mounts — individual(as seen here) and “siamesed” twin mounts. Which is preferred? Also , I have no idea if the brass tstat is good, but it’s darn stuck. Do I cut it out and just buy a new one? Thanks for any/all guidance, my carb knowledge is limited to Holley 750 from 40 years ago and I’ve forgotten it all!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
11,548 Posts
Use the siamese mount. It's easier on the balance linkage. Don't forget you need a Weber support bracket to the engine mount. Re thermostat, try every imaginable penetrant like PB blaster and gentle heat that will not melt the solder on the t-stat. Some good used ones in my spares have HUGE pipe wrench marks on them! I use anti seize on the threads when installing these. If water is used without anti-freeze, they try to electrolytically bond to the manifold. Have fun.. take your time getting it out.

·
Premium Member
4,508 Posts
Thanks Jim. Here is the manifold I think I can use, throats are 40mm. I assume this is an ok manifold for the conversion, assuming the carbs has their own air cleaners? I have 40dcoe32 and two kinds of carb mounts — individual(as seen here) and “siamesed” twin mounts. Which is preferred? Also , I have no idea if the brass tstat is good, but it’s darn stuck. Do I cut it out and just buy a new one? Thanks for any/all guidance, my carb knowledge is limited to Holley 750 from 40 years ago and I’ve forgotten it all!!
If you can tune a Holley. Then you should be able to tune any carb out there. There the biggest pain in the a$$.

That manifold will be fine. Like Gordon said use the siamese mount. I don't think those t stats went bad very often. CA has new ones for about 35 bucks.

Your manifold is what was used on the 1300 and 1600 and will work fine on a 1750/2000. So if you use it. You have to either get a 2 port water pump or block off the bypass port on the pump you have. I your motor still has the Spica timing cover. You will have to block off the bypass port and keep using the Spica water pumps. All the other pumps are carb pumps and the lower rad. hose port is at a different angle. The port will hit the flange on the timing cover that protects the belt. I guess you could cut the flange off.

Also as Gordon mentioned you really need a carb support. I have what I think was a 1300 or 1600 support. That was cut and lengthen for a 1750/2000. You can have it if you want it for shipping as Andrew W. gave it to me. It doesn't look great but with a new bushing it will work fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jim thanks, I'll use that -- please see if you have the accel pedal linkage too. So I will block off the bypass outlet from the pump, and the port where is attaches to? I do have a 1600 front cover as well but not sure if it is tall enough to meet up with the head on a 2L motor, plus, I';d have to check the dist drive and if its not good, I don't have the right reamer tool to reset the bushing in the drive … hmm more to check on I suppose----

·
Super Moderator
10,583 Posts
I don't think those t stats went bad very often.
I agree. I'd dip the end of the thermostat end of the manifold into boiling water and see if the thermostat opens. Most likely it will. Those big, heavy brass thermostats last a long time. Your are likely to damage the manifold trying to extract it. And who knows whether a modern replacement will be as good?

goats said:
I do have a 1600 front cover as well but not sure if it is tall enough to meet up with the head on a 2L motor
No, it won't be tall enough. Your 2L front cover will work just fine. It will need a Spica block-off plate and the guards for the Spica belt will look funny, but won't hurt anything.

·
Premium Member
4,508 Posts
So I will block off the bypass outlet from the pump, and the port where is attaches to? -
There is not a port in the intake manifold your using for the bypass hose to connect to.

·
Premium Member
4,508 Posts
I’m converting a SPICA 74 GTV to carbs: Weber’s. I have a manifold , bellcrank, and the carbs— but I don’t have an accelerator pedal assembly that will push from below rather than pull from above. Anybody got a spare hanging around? Also, will I need that separate bracket/support for this project? Prolly need that too!! Thanks, bob
I have one. It will need to be bead blasted and painted.

PM sent

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
I have one. email [email protected] or message 321 279 0922

1 - 12 of 12 Posts