Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just completed Weber carb conversion on my '74 2000 spider and the engine will not start. Has spark and fuel is regulated to 3psi. I primed the carbs. Is there a particular strategy? I'm in California and its 65 degrees in my garage.
I have no choke hooked up and didn't think I would need it. On first try I just gave it one shot of gas before cranking and then cranked...nothing. Any thoughts/experiences greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,294 Posts
Try done starter fluid maybe ? If it has fuel and spark, assuming you didn’t goof up the timing (either mechanical or ignition) then all it needs is air ... which should be in good supply

·
Super Moderator
11,775 Posts
Are you sure the accelerator pumps are working? Were the carbs sitting for a time?

Before mounting carbs it can be useful to fill the bowls with fuel, work the butterfly shafts and confirm that both pump jets spray (make sure the inboard side of the carbs is pointing away from you and toward something fuel-proof).

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Force the choke open. ie wire open with molegrips holding the wire , pump the throttle twice and it should go . Assuming you have fuel and spark. Worked for me if you like instant 3,000 rpm

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to everyone that replied... carbs are new with conversion kit from centerline...I'll try these suggestions and post results.

·
Registered
115 Posts
You are correct about choke is not necessary on Webers (at least on the Alfa’s)
So fuel is not getting from the float chambers to the intake. As AlfaJay said it could be the accelerator pumps but rare for all 4 to stick but possible I suppose.
First I would get a mate to spray easystart into the intakes. WD 40 works well. Give. It about 1/2 throttle and crank. It must fire or bang and backfire if there is any sort of spark around. If still nothing then it is not with the carbs.
Are the carbs new or used. If used did you service them as used Webers are seldom plug and play.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yey!! Finally got this baby running. Thanks to all that replied. It took Redmerlin's recommendation to wire open the chokes to light this thing off. Runs great off idle (like a different, more powerful, car). Idle is a little rough and high (1500 rpm)...which I will be working on next. (I did switch both choke levers off after a short warm-up).
Does anybody have recommendations as to how to set up brand new dual 40 dcoe webers?
My experience with carb.'s is from 40 years ago.
Is it necessary to go through redine's procedure involving air by-pass screws, idle mix screws, etc.?
Thanks Very Much !
Chris

·
Premium Member
1,965 Posts
I think air bypass screws are found only on the Spanish 151's (40mm) and 152's (45mm) none on Italian versions, from what I have read on Alfa's they should be closed., By all means follow Redlines set up procedure, its the only way to get everything synched, also carb balance is a necessity and should be outlined in the set up procedure.

·
Richard Jemison
7,985 Posts
Yes, close the 4 air bleed screws. Then back off the idle speed screw completely, and the syncro linkage screw 1 turn (or more) . Then with left hand push the rear carb side of the linkage to full closes, and hold it while the syncro screw is turned in until it just contacts the plate on the rear carb`s linkage. It will be syncronized. Set idle speed with the idle speed screw. Should run smooth.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I tried the "wind velocity" method without much success.
So I put a couple of flashlights, as
shown below, turned the lights out.
And .... (Those are the progression holes.)
Yes, you need to remove the caps...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts