Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When you first learned how to drive, what kind of car was it?

I learned in a 1961 Austin Mini RHD 4-speed when I was 12. Holy s**t, has it been that long?

·
Registered
378 Posts
I learned how to drive in an 87 Milano Gold edition when I was only 9. From 8 years old to 9 my dad allowed my to shift from the pasenger seat but once I turned 9 he let me do it from the driver seat. From my first day driving an Alfa I had a tendency to drive fast and still do to this day...what can you expect...it's an Alfa, that's what they do best.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Not to brag, but I was a natural (yes driving a car is challenging, i'm gifted;) )

I use to drive in my Pop's Audi 5000's, I was only doing the wheel part and he did the gas and braking. And once on vacation in Germany (8 years old), my aunt let us drive her VW golf stick on a back forest road. Well i got the car out of first my first attempt and then I was in 2nd with her telling me to stop, but my foot was stuck, and she pulled the e brake which made me stall.

To anwser the question, my dad let me drive his 1986 bmw 735i. I then wanted to drive a stick, so my dad let me drive the Izusu Trooper. And when i worked at a dealership I learned to drive more car's and to shift without a clucth (not that good at it).

Then I purchased my alfa, and I'm still learning.

·
Admin
4,862 Posts
It was my Dads DATSUN King Cab (dont know the year)! That car was sweet. It was blue with mag rims, bed cover, and manual shift. He mantained that car so well that he got well over 200,000 miles out of it and it was still purring when he sold it.

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
i was about 11 years old. my dad had this milano gold edition at the time. fabrizio and i used to bug him about how we wanted to drive. one day he took us on this one road behind our house and let us drive. it was fun, stalled it a few times. once i got it out of my system, fabrizio jumped behind the wheel. he forgot to mention in his post that he was not able to push the clutch in to start but when he went to push it in to shift, he could not reach. we were headed down hill in neutral for a while until he moved way forward in his seat so he could reach the clutch pedal...it was funny stuff.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Nothing so exciting here. Starting at 13, I 'borrowed' my mom's Honda 600 every chance I could get. Slow as molassis but fun to drive.

Attachments

·
Registered
331 Posts
First Car was my first alfa....
1991 ALFA 164L

WAs a nice car..5spd..rebuilt engine..only..165,000miles ;)
real steal at $1,850.... :)

man i miss that car...

·
Registered
739 Posts
Does it have to be a car? I learned to drive a forklift at the family business when I was 10 or 11. Transitioning from rear wheel steering to front wheel steering was a little wierd, but learning to shift the two speed non-syncro transmission on the tree made transitioning to manual syncromesh car transmissions a piece of cake.

For my 5 year old son, learning to drive will be a piece of cake since he's been driving simulators on the PC for a couple of years.

Ciao,

·
Registered
52 Posts
74 GTV for me.

Bought it before I knew how to drive. Loved the car ever since seeing my PE teacher's in Junior High.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Kai, do you still have the Honda 600? My friend and I almost bought a 600 from a guy in Long Beach!
We also almost bought a CVCC Civic (the first gen Civic) in LB for $500.
-------
I was sitting on my dad's lap turning the wheels when I was 5 in my dad's 73(?) Corolla GT-S. And when I am sitting in the passenger side, I changed gears when my dad depress the clutch. :)

I think the first time I take full control (gas, steering, clutch, shifting) was in my dad's Daihatsu Hijet when I was 8.

BTW, my 73 GTV has the same smell as my dad's old Corolla. ;) I was so sick of the smell when I was a kid, but now I begin to love it.

67GTV said:
Nothing so exciting here. Starting at 13, I 'borrowed' my mom's Honda 600 every chance I could get. Slow as molassis but fun to drive.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
alfa_chan said:
Kai, do you still have the Honda 600? My friend and I almost bought a 600 from a guy in Long Beach!
We also almost bought a CVCC Civic (the first gen Civic) in LB for $500.
After my mom officially gave me the car, I drove the crap out of it. Since I didn't think of such trivial things as checking the oil, I blew the engine. Being an air-cooled two cylinder motorcycle engine, oil was even more vital. This was the first of many cars I sent to the junk yard. Incidentally, one of the most popular modifications to these cars pull the 600cc engine and drop in a 750cc Kawasaki engine.

My '81 Accords had CVCC (compound vortex controlled cumbustion, I believe) engines in them. A really ingenious Honda design that burned fuel so efficiently and completely that smog equipment was not needed.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I learned to drive in a 1960 porsche 356. Dad bought it in '71, was his daily driver for years, he still has it today. Guess I kinda rebelled when I bought my first alfa.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The first car I drove was the Citroën XM V6 of my father (1992).... I was only 10 ! .... but it was in the garden :D
Then at 16 the Alfa 155 2.0 TS 16v (1996) of my mother, I caught the virus Alfa ! ;)

·
Registered
150 Posts
'59 English Ford Anglia

I think I was 8 or 9 when Dad let me try this flat head beauty, it was so small I could almost reach the pedals, then at 13 I got a Lambretta scooter (still have it!) didn't need a clutch on it, slipped into gears up or down amazingly well.
Grade school and High scholl were a gas as we bought and sold a bunch, I think senior year I drove 7 different cars, wish I had the 68 Firebird convertible back!
Not as pretty or fun as my '88 Graduate but still nice!
artart

·
Registered
699 Posts
Oh Boy,
Now we seperate the old from the ancient.
I learned to drive in my father's 1929 Model A Ford Truck! I was 14 and it was 1949.
where is my medicine?
MrC

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Hahahaha! Yup, you ARE an old-timer, Mr. C!

My first drive was in a '68 Chevy Biscayne 2-door (in 1968). That was our family car. I was 10. That summer, my Dad let me buy a 1961 VW Beetle with no fenders and holes in the floors to use on the private dirt roads up at our cottage. It cost me $10! I saved my allowance up and bought it from a neighbor who was a Hippie. He owned two Microbuses, a Squareback and a nice '54 Beetle as well (the '54 got my fenders). At the end of August, I went up a hill too fast and hit a tree, which bent the front axle and ended my driving for a couple of years.

·
Registered
63 Posts
My first car

My first car to drive was a 1964 Ford Falcon with a 170 special. It had a three on the tree. I got stuck on many hills at first. I loved that car cause it was mine!

1 - 20 of 77 Posts