Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, forgive me if this has been addressed, but a search has not yielded anything. Is it possible to bring our cars through a commercial car wash? Will they clear the tracks? Does the roof leak?

I know, I know, they are not the best for the paint, but mine is not concours...yet :p

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
OK, forgive me if this has been addressed, but a search has not yielded anything. Is it possible to bring our cars through a commercial car wash?

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Why would you want to?

Regardless of paint condition, etc., why would you want to do a drive through? Our cars are so easily hand-washed, it hardly takes more time to wash it by hand than to drive to the machine, wait in line, pay the $, and return home.
That said, I did once wash an Alfa at a commercial wash. But...it was a 164S at the KC convention in 1999 after driving it from Seattle. And...we only used the wand to fill the wash bucket and then for a final rinse.
In the end, I would not recommend it, not only for the leakage potential and paint damage, but the greater concern that the undercarriage would be damaged by the tracks.
HTH

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
...the greater concern that the undercarriage would be damaged by the tracks.
HTH
Yes, THAT is my ONLY concern. That is really what I was looking to find out. I take all my other cars through car washes. I was hoping to avoid the "Why would you want to, my God how can you do that, do you also strangle children in the park or worship satan?" responses :D...oh well...
Should have known better! :eek:

·
Registered
398 Posts
>>Does the roof leak?

Mine does, and for that reason I wouldn't take it through any commercial wash that requires me to remain in the driver's seat. It doesn't leak much in a hard rain, but in that case, the water's coming from one direction. I'm not about to push my luck with those commercial sprayers come at me from all sides.

Tim

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
>>Does the roof leak?

Mine does, and for that reason I wouldn't take it through any commercial wash that requires me to remain in the driver's seat. It doesn't leak much in a hard rain, but in that case, the water's coming from one direction. I'm not about to push my luck with those commercial sprayers come at me from all sides.

Tim
Thanks, Tim. The reality is I may never do it, but good know what the options are.

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
how about the effect of the brushes on the back plastic window? it may be a good way to check the conditions of the gutters and downspouts in the back and the cowl drains if you have a scuba tank.
cliff

·
Registered
138 Posts
Used a brushless car wash. At one point there was so much water coming in at force I just closed my eyes to try and keep the soap out. The bad part is I was on the way to a club function.

·
Registered
7,166 Posts
Drive it to my place. We'll wash it here. Please, anything but a car wash.

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, enough with the car wash. :eek: Anyone know where I can get a radio relay for my 91 (hand washed) Spider? :confused:

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
i have taken my car through a car wash before only out of desperation kiving in manhattan when i dont have time to get it hand washed and it went fine.

·
Registered
288 Posts
QUOTE=sjmst;413829]OK, forgive me if this has been addressed, but a search has not yielded anything. Is it possible to bring our cars through a commercial car wash? Will they clear the tracks? Does the roof leak?

I know, I know, they are not the best for the paint, but mine is not concours...yet :p[/QUOTE]

I think it depends on the vehicle. The 164 I'd have no trouble with due to the hardtop. The Spider though is a different story:eek:

The amount of force the water shoots out at you will find its way into the interior quite easily and I think you will find it not worth it.

Jeff

·
Registered
398 Posts
Hey, I've got the solution! Go ahead and take her to the car wash. Just wear your swimming trunks and bring a towel. :cool:

Tim

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey, I've got the solution! Go ahead and take her to the car wash. Just wear your swimming trunks and bring a towel. :cool:

Tim

...or not: :p

i have taken my car through a car wash before only out of desperation living in manhattan when i dont have time to get it hand washed and it went fine.
OK, thanks. Got the info I was looking for. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts