Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving the 1993 Alfa Spider all day...no problems. I went into the auto parts store...came out...car won't start. It turns over, but won't start. It has plenty of gas...and the weird thing is the dash gauges don't work now. I checked all the fuses...all ok. All other lights work ok. Has spark. Has fuel. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Faulty ignition switch should be easy to check. You can make jumpers from a little bit of insulated wire (lamp cord works in a pinch) and some spade connectors. Bridge across the two "fat" wires and if your dash comes alive, you've probably found the problem. Touch the third wire to the connection of those two and the engine should crank over and start.

You do this, by the way, at the connector for the ignition switch underneath the dash. I don't know the '93 so I can't tell you what it looks like, but on my car, it's the only 3 wire connector coming out of the steering column. You want to jump the side that doesn't go to the steering column (that should be obvious, but you never can be too sure).

Tim

·
Registered
4,450 Posts
Make sure the hoses from the air flow meter to the intake are connected and without cracks, tears, or leaks. If there is a leak between the air flow meter and the intake of the motor, the car will not start.

Best Regards,
John M

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
I was driving the 1993 Alfa Spider all day...no problems. I went into the auto parts store...came out...car won't start. It turns over, but won't start. It has plenty of gas...and the weird thing is the dash gauges don't work now. I checked all the fuses...all ok. All other lights work ok. Has spark. Has fuel. Any ideas? Thanks.
Hmmm. "Has spark. Has fuel." Not a lot more is required besides the right amount of air. I know that the typical result of a broken fuel pump fuse is cranks, has spark, might maybe gravity feed some inadequate amount of fuel, and certainly won't start. I'd suspect that some of your observations are suspect, starting with "has fuel."

I sure hope this helps. If it turns over and has spark, then it is _not_ going to be an ignition problem. But electrical it might still be (fuel pump). We had this happen to our '86 Graduate.

Michael

·
Registered
99 Posts
I had a similar problem. Went into my sons school and when i came out, the car would turn over but would not start. One of the flywheel sensors had come loose and was hanging freely from its wire harness. To make a short story, after a week of messing with it and changing the coil and wires etc. I looked under the car, saw it dangling and screwed it back in. Voila!!! the car fired right up. Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Flywheel sensor is a good no-start suggestion. I had one go into a soft failure (same '86 Graduate), and it took a while to identify. But it seems if he really _has_ spark, then it can't be that sensor. I thought his "has fuel" was more likely to be questionable than the "has spark" statement. I'll freely grant that the dash electrical issue seems to point toward electrical problems, but I don't understand how he could have crank/spark with a serious electrical deficiency, and don't understand how he could have crank/spark/fuel with no start unless his AFM isn't measuring all the air going in or perhaps the cams are not turning. (that last was mostly a joke -- but stranger things have happened).

Michael

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Brown Ignition Wire Decided To Burn....

I towed my Alfa in to my trusted Alfa mechanic Miles and handed him all of your responses. (I thought I was helping him!). He said leave...and come back in an hour. I did and it turned out to be a brown ignition wire underneath the dash that burned a bit. (His wife said to me in confidence that when I left, Miles had a coffee and perused the responses I had given him.) Thanks to all!

·
Registered
3,506 Posts
Thank you a lot for the update. And I'm glad you're back in business.

I guess that means it didn't _really_ have spark all the way, instead of not really having fuel all the way, then. But something was missing and I'm glad he found it. It would have taken me a while to find a soft failure like a burned wire would probably give.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts