Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
15,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When married, working and restoring a car, only 2 of the 3 things can ever be going well or happy at the same time. Remember that so you can handle the dramas :). Note that does not imply that they can't all be unhappy at the same time too :(

I say this is because wife is not at all happy with me because I worked all weekend on the car ... well I think that is why she is not happy ... :eek:
Pete

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Definitely best to be single and unemployed when working in the garage

Reactions: PSk

·
Richard Jemison
8,382 Posts
As an expert in "women :rolleyes:" as I`m on wife #6, you just have to train them to understand your priorities. With wife # 6, on the flight back from Las Vegas where we married after living together 4 years, she made the statement: "you have to quit spending so much money and time on your race cars".

I considered it a few seconds, then explained that I had heard her, and if she thought she might say anything like that in the future then tell me now, as when we land in Dallas/Fort Worth we would fly back to Las Vegas on the next flight, go to the little White Wedding Chapel, and I`d pay Elvis to tear up our wedding certificate.

22 years later when I come in from the shop dinner is ready. It might be cold, but there`s no "Noise".
But she is happy that the GTAm (3rd racecar in the shop) has been sold.
Besides, I can operate the microwave:giggle:

·
Administrator
15,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm thinking of working on the car this evening. Just sealing seems so not going to upset the neighbours. Wife has Beatles documentary to watch. I'm not that interested

She's not normally this pissed about it, so who knows? ... says she can't wait for the thing to be finished, so yeah I have to work on it ... go figure
Pete

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I’m sure she’ll love to be beside you when you win 1st prize at the Alfa Club concours!

·
Administrator
15,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah once it is completed I fully expect a big change. I have seen this many times over the years. Hates the process but likes the end result. Even when I extended the garage in Sydney ... very unhappy with the mess, etc. ... but when done and all nicely painted AND a large raised garden bed along one side ... no issues at all, in fact "look at our new garden" was heard to be said to friends
Pete

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Pete, I can't tell you anything you probably don't already know. But right away, when we married, I made an Alfista out of Irene. Then our son, and later our daughter. So far, it seems to be working.

·
Registered
396 Posts
My wife is queen of "Go out to the garage, enjoy your day" only for me to come back in when done to her being totally angry and annoyed that I was gone all day and she had to take care of the kids. I have said a few times I should just sell everything because having that hanging over my head completely kills all enjoyment I get out there.

·
Administrator
15,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My wife is queen of "Go out to the garage, enjoy your day" only for me to come back in when done to her being totally angry and annoyed that I was gone all day and she had to take care of the kids. I have said a few times I should just sell everything because having that hanging over my head completely kills all enjoyment I get out there.
Yeah little kids are a challenge. Been there done that, and probably had the same response.

I think the current issue (note I might be wrong, who knows :D) was that I got my father down for the weekend, when we could have had a weekend alone together. I got Dad down because due to covid he had been stuck in lock down for a few weeks

Oh well the mood is recovering, lets see if I can upset it again :D :D
Pete

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
There is a need for ABB members to share crucial performance data on this topic.

One of the car restoration books reckons once you exceed an average of 10 hours per week on the car over 3-4 years you get into trouble with wifey.

I think the figure in my case is closer to 12 hours, but low hour weeks / going out to ?? don't appear to carry over or generate brownie points for later use.

Project duration also appears to be important.

Chris

·
Registered
530 Posts
fast forward a few years….. ”Peter, when are you going to spend more time at home on weekends? ….. you’re always out and about with that stupid car” 😀😀😀

• Haha

·
Push hard and live
11,618 Posts
Hair Forehead Face Nose Head

·
Administrator
15,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep we've had the discussion. I was right but it is also the smell of thinners. Heck we cleaned the spray gun and the sealer applicator that failed so we could get a replacement.

F'ing modern houses with their attached garages for modern "men" that don't get their hands dirty

But she will get over it ...
Pete

·
Administrator
15,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
I knew this was going to happen, and I tried to calmly explain the painting process to her, but she has absolutely no idea. Thinks it is like painting a chair. At first she thought I could just take the car to a professional and say in a week it would come back all shiny and painted. I got a quote to aid this discussion and it was horrific and I believe if I gave my car to a professional it would not come back for years, as they are so busy fixing crashed cars this would not be their priority. Not playing that game thanks.

So basically I am doing all the prep, and probably the final spray too ... I just have to deal with this challenge in our relationship. My Dad when he is here just wants to work 24x7 on the car, and that is just not possible from a noise and smell situation, etc.

BTW with the temporary spray booth and fans running, and some windows closed, I cannot smell anything in the house; but yes the thinners/cleaner did cause a problem, so the lovely Mrs PSk is 100% right there. Will use outside from now on
Pete

1 - 20 of 27 Posts