Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before leaving my car at the bodybuilder. My radio antenna was working ... now it stays out and when you turn off the radio it tries to go in and you hear a click click click in the engine.

Do you know what it can be and how to fix it.
I'm looking on EPER for the information but I can't find :(

Thank you :) a great community here;)

·
Premium Member
16,689 Posts
The internal cogged strap which pushes or pulls the metal antenna part up and down often breaks, as it is usually just plastic and gets stiffer when old. I've had this happen, and tried to fix it with a repair kit using a new strap, but couldn't do it. Had to buy a new complete antenna.

I think it does maybe help if the telescoping metal shafts are cleaned and lubed to keep the loads lower once in a while.

Reactions: Goned75

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Generic antenna masts can be used. They come with new "gear strip". Usually you need to pull the motor and open it up to get the broken parts of the old one out, but then pretty simple to install the new. Lots of videos on the web of how to do this. One of the few areas where Alfa is not that special.

·
Premium Member
16,689 Posts
Yes, I for one went all through this, watched the video, etc. Turned out you have to have the correct ribbon to make the teeth match up with the internal gear. The Alfa supplied antenna I had in the car used a different teeth spacing or size than the kits I tried. Finally gave up after buying several, even when they said it should work, and just bought a new generic motorized antenna for the price, ~$25, of an antenna kit. Has worked fine for years now.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Metra makes a replacement power mast that is super tall and has excellent reception...It was even listed to FIT an Alfa Romeo Milano...its expensive ($80-100) but parts are available, as ive had to replace the mast once after some *** broke it off - maybe wiring the stereo to power constantly was a bad choice ;)

Reactions: Goned75
1 - 5 of 5 Posts