Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several weeks ago I purchased an 86 GTV6 that had been listed here on the BB. This will be my next project car after I finish the 164 (hopefully in about a year and a half). Ideally I wouldn't have the next project yet, but when the right car in the right location at the right price presents itself, it is hard to take a pass.

The car runs OK, so I will only do required repairs during this period. Car has 100K miles. Like my 164, it does not need significant parts, but it needs a tremendous amount of labor. The body is worse than the 164 (the upper part of both doors was sprayed plum over the original red); I assume these doors are from another car, since the key that works the door locks won't work the hatch lock. The mechanicals are comparable to the 164, and the interior condition is about the same as was the 164 before I restored it. The car has factory air, but no belt; PO reports that it never had a belt on it while he owned it. Eventually I think I will try to get the A/C working; if I can't get it to cool well enough, I may pull it all off the car. I don't see how people can stand the noise of the HVAC fan on its highest speed; it is much, much louder than the fan in my Alfetta.

I have Zender front and rear bumpers that I will probably put on the car. When I finish with this project, I will almost certainly sell it; I prefer my Alfetta for driving around in town.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
I considered this car, but I did not want a project car. I'm glad it found a good home. Keep us informed of the restore. Plus, I might be interested once its done!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This summer and fall, while I was driving my 164 resto project car, I started pulling parts off of the GTV6. I only pulled off parts that would allow me to keep the car running, so I could move it around, drive it around the neighborhood every few weeks, and have it as an emergency spare car for when I started working on the 164 again (I did start tearing the front suspension of the 164 apart the first week of November).

I may pull out the dash, front seats, and carpet in the spring or early summer.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Those are called Harlequin Golfs. VW actually built five cars of the various colors, then disassembled them and swapped panels around. Unfortunately, there were none of the higher performance variants built. No GTI or VR6. Interesting way to end up with a weird, normal car.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
More Progress

Since last fall I have pulled some more stuff off the car. I am still keeping it running; I drive it around the neighborhood about every 3 weeks.

I am doing some small jobs on the car this summer while I am driving the 164 project. I will finish up the rear suspension on the 164 in the fall.

Attachments

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HVAC Box

I had pulled the HVAC box off the firewall some time ago. The inlet to the evaporator was full of leaves and debris.
All of the foam gaskets were totally disintegrated and the rubber parts were bad also. I had read about a higher capacity blower motor on a HVAC thread here, so I got one from eBay. This blower motor has internal speed regulation, so I could get rid of the resistor on the firewall. I just had to make 2 new motor mounting brackets for the new motor. During reassembly of the HVAC box, I replaced all of the foam and rubber, and also sealed up some holes that were poked in the box for the addition of the Tropic Air evaporator (I am getting rid of that. Reasonable concept; horrible implementation).

I sat the completed box on the floorboards and tested the new blower and wiring. The new blower motor is quieter than the OE one, which is nice. Everything worked OK.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,039 Posts
I your idea about keep fixing old Alfas. I retired in 2014 and finish restoring my 1961 Sprint Veloce. I then restored a 1956 Spider, then 1959 Spider Veloce and just finished a 1961 SS. I then helped a friend install an engine in his 1961 Sprint Veloce which I have helped him since 2014. I just received a newly painted 1957 Sprint on a steel dolly and three days later a newly painted 1963 2600 Spider both of which should be finished by the end of the year. I enjoy working on cars everyday and still have time to help friends with their car collections.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Starter

I had to rebuild the starter a year or two before plan. While the passenger exhaust manifold was off the car, I painted it.
It was very rusty, so I tried electrolytic rust removal for the first time. This worked better than I was expecting; this method is more cost effective for large parts than chemical rust removal. Also cleaned up the right side of the engine while it was accessible.

Attachments

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
While I am driving my 164 around, I am back to working on the GTV6. I had removed all of the side glass so that I could repair the window guides. Now that the window guides are finished, I am about ready to reinstall the side glass. While the side glass was out of the way, I decided to fix the black paint on the window trim and the charcoal paint on the center pillar and above the window trim. Previously had dyed the headliner. That is finished, so I plan on reinstalling the guides and glass this weekend.

I ordered a dash cap from Centerline today. After I repair the dash, it and the carpet will go back in next.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got the side glass in. After that was done, I decided to work on some bad scratches in the windshield caused by a wiper blade/arm failure before I owned the car. Had to sand the area first, then polish with cerium oxide powder and a special buffer pad that I had. This is extremely tedious, but it works and is less nerve wracking than replacing the windshield. Got that finished today.
Since I now had cerium oxide all over the front of the car, and since I had not washed the car in about 2 years (no side glass or sunroof on the car for over a year), and since the weather was good today, it got a wash.
Meanwhile I had received the dash cap from Centerline; looks better than I was expecting. I will next get things prepped to do the bonding of the cap to the dash.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bonded the dash cap onto the old dash with the dash off the car.
You can't have too many clamps.
I didn't do any trimming of the cap before bonding; I MAY have to do a tiny amount of trimming when I prepare to mount the gages and the air vents.
So far I am pleased with how it is coming out.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got the dash back in the car, and the glovebox and instruments mounted.

Now I have a question about throttle response. Ever since I acquired the car, I have noticed that when I first dip into the throttle from idle, the engine stumbles for about 0.5 to one second. After that it is fine. It does it the worst from a cold start, and improves as the engine warms up, but it never goes away completely. The faster I depress the throttle pedal, the worse it stumbles. If I depress the throttle pedal slowly, it does not stumble at all.
I played around with the throttle position switch adjustment, the idle speed O-ring adjustment, and the adjuster screw for the air flow meter air bypass adjustment; none of these had a significant effect on the problem.

Ideas?

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Vacuum leak? Sounds a lot like how my car was, would start and idle but any throttle activity, the engine would basically cough and quit. Ended up being a big split in the accordion section of the main intake hose. Seems the engine had slowly been tweaked over the years by ? and with the new hose in, it started better and idled really high until I reset it.

Cheers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts