Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, after some troubleshooting advice please.

'67 gtv stalled at traffic lights without warning. Battery and fuel supply appear ok. I am getting no spark from the leads to the plugs, however a strong blue spark from the main lead from the coil coming in to the distributer cap when earthed.

keeping in mind i have no idea about distributers, are there any pointers to help me diagnose the problem and find a fix?

Thanks in advance, tom

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
The good news is you have spark going to the distributor. If the problem isn't a failed rotor then look at your points. They could have closed up, gotten burned, or maybe even broken in two (happened to me once). If the rotor looks OK, go over the metal end with sand paper and make it bright. If you don't have a point file (nobody does anymore), spray some contact cleaner onto the point and gently work sand paper back and forth to clean the corrosion off the points.

That should get you started . . . Maybe.

Keep in mind that this is a fast-and-dirty roadside fix which is intended to get you home. What you really should do is a thorough tune-up: new cap, new rotor, points, condenser, and plug wires. Your Alfa will love you for it. :thumbup:

An even better solution is to install an electronic, brakerless ignition like a Pertronix II. Although many people use it, I don't recommend installing the cheaper, more fragile, Pertronix I.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts