Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and what type do you have? How much aerial room do you have in your garage to accommodate it? I'm leaving this in the spider section because it seems to get the most hits, but certainly other styles are free to respond!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Researching it now. I have about a 9 foot ceiling height, unless I section the ceiling into the attic above. Used electrical lifts are available, but only work on lighter vehicles, ok for Alfa, not so good for Explorer.....

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have been told that a used electric lift can be had for about $3,500. The only reason I could justify buying one would be to store another car underneath. Don't have the clearance in the current garage to get the car high enough, I think I need about 12' feet of clearance, so I'm about 4' short.

Oh Well....

·
Registered
25 Posts
Scissor lifts?

How about scissor lifts? I dont have one but what i heard is cheaper replacement of heavy hydrolic lifts.

I think they are pretty handy for weekend mechanics like me.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
I've got 12' ceilings in 2 of my bays and it works out fine for the Alfas. Don't think I could get the Chev. van all the way up. Have both 2 and 4 post types.
Should have put the operator/motor all the way to the end instead of in the middle of the ceiling for a little more overhead clearance.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Just what the doctor ordered!

I've been looking at lifts for my garage for the past 2 years. All of them are too tall for my ceiling. This is th eperfect compromise, plus it leaves enough money left over to buy a split system a/c unit!
Thanks!
Phil C

86 Quad
89 Range Rover (set up for off road)
99 Audi A8 (daily driver)
65 Chevy p/u has been in the family since new
01 Range Rover wife's car NEVER off road
95(2) Volvo 940's daughters' cars

·
Registered
205 Posts
I put a free-standing 4 post lift in about three years ago. I park both of my Alfas there. Also good for maintenance. I looked at the Backyard Buddy (collar) type lifts, but they do not have as much clearance under the deck as the C-column style lift I ultimately bought. Even still, I have to watch my head when I am underneath.

I also had to have a high lift track made for the garage door to clear the lift. I did it to both doors, just in case I ever need to add a second one ;)

I bought the lift from Americas Pride in Seekonk, MA. When I bought it, two guys showed up with the lift and assembled it for me. If you are thinking of getting one like this, you should call them and see if they still deliver.

The Delivery

The Set Up

The Result

-Jim

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
phil c said:
I've been looking at lifts for my garage for the past 2 years. All of them are too tall for my ceiling. This is th eperfect compromise, plus it leaves enough money left over to buy a split system a/c unit!
Thanks!
Phil C

86 Quad
95(2) Volvo 940's daughters' cars[/QU
So what is it that's the perfect compromise?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hardtop,

How high is the top of your spider when on the lift ? What was the approximate cost of the system ?

Thanks - Terry

·
Registered
205 Posts
Terry,

The Spider sits at about 10 feet when it is on top. The Berlina is about a foot higher when it is up there. I have a friend who put the same model lift in his garage on the same day. His ceiling is 10 feet, and he gets two cars in.

IIRC the lift was about $2800. I added wheels, ramps, drip trays (must have the drip trays! - at least 3) and jack trays, which made it about $3500 all in.

-Jim

·
Registered
327 Posts
perfect compromise

powerdoc said:
phil c said:
Thanks!
Phil C

86 Quad
95(2) Volvo 940's daughters' cars[/QU
So what is it that's the perfect compromise?
I get a decent lift and air conditioning for the price of a 4 post lift.

·
Registered
333 Posts
My Car Lift...?

I don't know if my "car lift" really belongs in this thread, but i
thought you guys might like it anyway...

Operation is very simple:
1, Drive up to door
2, Use remote control to access
3, Drive in - push button for basement...

Lift_in.JPG

4, Drive out the other side...

Lift_out.JPG

5, Park car.

Lift_park.JPG

It's no good for working on the car, but it's great for secure parking. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts