Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

unfortunately my contract is finnishing in July and I am forced to leave South Africa.
Last year I restored a Giulia and would like to take this car with me.

Does anyone knows what I need to do to be able to export this car?
As I spend so much work on it, I do not like to leave the car behind.
To safe cost I would like to organise the export myself.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated.

Thank you

Clemens

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

I refer to the papers required in South Africa to be able to export the car. Which certificates do I need, or who can I ask to get all together.

Thank you

Clemens

·
Registered
144 Posts
Coetzeeh on this forum posted some info about SA to UK exports. Perhaps he can help?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you EldrigdeM,

I tried to find Coetzeeh in the list, but was not successful.
Do you have maybe more details, or hie e-mail address?

Thank you

Clemens

·
Registered
144 Posts
No, I don't. Check page 22 of the 105 / 115 registry. One of his posts is there.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Henk,

I am also considering an export from SA to the UK. If you could kindly estimate what costs I should budget for export when I buy a car, that would be great.

Thank you very much.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Assuming you are going to container your car in a 20' unit (there are cheaper options) then top of my head:

1. Container/shipping and all agent costs/customs charges in SA c R25 000 ($2500 in round numbers)
2. UK customs clearance and agent costs: £650.00
3. add 10% import duty on purchase price (incl shipping costs)
4. add 20% VAT on top.

There are "Roll on Roll off" options where you drive the car onto ship so the car is in fact in an open environment (could be below deck). This is a cheaper option but I am not sure how much this costs.

Regards
Henk

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
you will also have to get the registeted in the uk and maybe sva tested, which is a harsh mot. relevant age paperwork to ensure the correct age numberplate is issued by the dvla

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thats correct.

The cars I imported had to be taken to my local DVLA offices for an inspection to check chassis and engine numbers.

Required a standard MOT otherwise & registered with age related plate.

Think carefully about buying a car in SA unless you know the car or have someone inspect the car for you. Take the "cars dont rust in SA" bit with a bag of salt (no pun).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts