Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Car Dolly Tow

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Alfasteve91 
#1 ·
Can I tow an Alfetta with front wheels on a car dolley without damaging anything?

#3 ·
The short answer is yes, the rear wheels will spin the ring and pinion and provide splash lubrication to the gearbox. All these discussions of how and on what wheels can I tow XYZ vehicle, generally have to with automatic transmissions which have lubrication issues that manual cars don't have.

Having said all that towing with a tow dolly can be pretty challenging.

Bye

#5 · (Edited)
I'm sure the car can be towed that way, as that's how we always towed RWD cars in the past, including Alfas. Just make sure the rear wheel bearings are good and lubed, and lube in the rear axle/diff. And, people with motorhomes tow vehicles that way all the time for thousands of miles.

Are there any back roads you could take instead, at least part way, at a lower speed?

So, assuming this is the Berlina you've been rebuilding, is the car going for a paint job or something? Have been hoping you might report any progress you've made on this car. Or, is this the other Berlina, getting rid of?

Also, hope all is well with you and Sharon. Haven't been up that way in some time, relatives moved away. Would like to visit again some day.

#7 ·
I just dolly towed a GTV 2.0 100 miles on a U-haul dolly behind a U-Haul pick-up. No problem at all but just have somewhere with plenty of room as it was beyond me to reverse the dolly with the car attached. I did check beforehand with my local shop tech (owner of fiat 500's to GTV6 to 308's) and he couldn't see any issues with towing the transaxle 116 platform.

#8 ·
Yes, it's safe to dolly tow the transaxle Alfas. We've done it once, based on advice from those here on the BB very familiar with this transaxle and diff.

#9 ·
Well we flat towed a 77 GT thousands of miles to the track and back over 10 years. Can I blame a stripped ring gear on that? It broke on a hard upshift from 3rd to 4th around year 8.
So how can I blame the 2 broken clutch covers on the towing??? Or my inability to keep up with GTVs in my same class!! ??

#10 ·
I ended up borrowing a car hauler because the owner thought the brakes were partially seized.
I got it home and in the greenhouse next to my black 164S (which I wish I no longer had).
The body has some rust, but not nearly as bad as it might be, although I haven't been under it yet.
The former owner reports he got it from his uncle a month ago. The uncle bought it new.
Reportedly it turns over, has spark, but no fuel. There's no noise, hummm coming from the pump.
I guess I'll start by putting 12V directly to the pump, or check fuses.
Anyone have a wiring diagram for a 1975 Alfetta?

#15 ·
Hi all - FYI... I just dolly towed an 84 gtv6 from Portland to Eugene... about 2 hours. Pulled it with a 2011 Tacoma 4x4. No problems! Used Uhaul dolly and 2” ball hitch. Kept it at 57mph the whole way. My first dolly tow experience, and it was a good one. Let me know if you want details.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.