Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a strange question.
Last night I put both the from and rear of my new-to-me GTV on jackstands. My floor is level and flat to within about 1/2”. The rear jackstands were under the axle tubes and the front were under the front stub rails (with narrow blocks of wood to protect the rail edges from getting crushed).

With the rear pair jacks set to the same height and the front pair jacks set to the same height, the car only touches 3 of the 4 jack stands. There is about a 1.25 gap between the car and 4th jack stand ( eg you could tip the car back and forth diagonally). If I raise that one jack up 1.25” the car now rests evenly ona four stands.

Any ideas why the car won’t sit evenly on four leveled jack stands ??

AFAIK the car has never been in an accident nor has it ever been rusty. I say this because I’ve just stripped it down to a shell for fresh paint. No areas of body filler, and what looks like factory welds everywhere.

John

·
Administrator
12,587 Posts
Count yourself lucky that your car is stiff enough to be able to do that!

Are you sure each jack stand is even height?
Pete

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
The weight is mostly on the front jack stands, and the rear is uneven. Over one inch is a lot. It sounds like something is fishy in the rear suspension. Unequal springs or spacers?

·
Super Moderator
11,584 Posts
Broken rear spring coil? Try using sill or pressed structural supports ahead of the rear axle to check the chassis for square. Let the rear axle hang and see if it hangs level.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Gordon etal,
You guys are right. I shouldn’t be using the rear axle as a reference. Perhaps 46 years of the fat guy on the left has cause the rear springs to become asymmetric. I’m not going to worry about it for now, but will measure from ground to a a few chassis points once the motor is out.

John

·
Registered
43 Posts
When I have my GTV on stands - located on all four jack points - the weight is on 3, and one stand can be wigled free. There is not much if any gap there. But the point is that the chassis is that stiff. It's hard to say if it's the floor, the stands or the car not flat. I just stuff rags in at the loose one and go about my business. In the end, what matters is that the chassis is flat enough, and it comes down to corner weighing the sprung weights in the end.

·
Administrator
12,587 Posts
What actually matters is the car is safely supported so you can work underneath ...

Pete, in safety nanny mode

·
Registered
43 Posts
OK nanny. To be more clear. I check all four stands to make sure they have adequate weight to be sure they can't be dislodged. This is how I know there is almost always one with less weight. I always check this because I'm not interested in working under a car with 3 stands carrying the weight of the car! I place rags between the stand and the jacking point on the loose stand until all stands are carrying enough weight to ensure that all stands are well located.

·
Administrator
12,587 Posts
Cool. I should have put a smiley face in my previous post. Was an attempt at weak humour :)

But you make valid points. I am impressed that GTV's chassis are this/that rigid
Pete

·
Super Moderator
11,584 Posts
It's the coil springs that try to kill you.

If the chassis is square, suspension can be corrected.
In the mid '60's we all took hydroxychloroquine for nasties from Viet Nam mosquitoes. It did me NO harm then and I doubt it would now at age 74, but now I can't get it... Huh... Maybe for the arthritis in my hands????

·
Administrator
12,587 Posts
I've had a close encounter with a GTV front spring ... had to search the shed for it after it escaped. Found it in the back corner ... looked pretty happy with itself, and relaxed ;)

Pete

·
Registered
7,759 Posts
I don't like the feeling of crawling around under this situation. I would use ramps, chocks and parking brake. I have jack stands and hate 'em and usually use them only on one corner as a safety an stay well clear of being under the car .

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It seems that all of you assume these old cars were level from the factory.:LOL:
Well that was my question. I assumed the old springs would not be a factor as the shocks would limit rear suspension droop. But as some have mentioned there can be other sources of variation (state of shock upper mount, damaged stub rails due to improper previous jacking. Because this car has never been in an accident or rusty I’m not going to worry about it for now. And yes maybe there is a little bit of variation between my 4 jack stands.

John

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I don't like the feeling of crawling around under this situation. I would use ramps, chocks and parking brake. I have jack stands and hate 'em and usually use them only on one corner as a safety an stay well clear of being under the car .

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks for the recall tip.

I have a set of Esco Tripod stands and a set of enormously heavy device station stands I got at a yard sale 38 years ago. But now I’m worried about my HF aluminum jack stands in my race trailer. Too bad the Esco doesn’t come in a alloy version.

·
Registered
141 Posts
If floor in level for sure. Measure Jack stands when extended.
axel hanging free, measure from Bottom of spring To the floor .
Tie a string line accross from bottom of spring to spring horizontally, check for level.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
I am noticing on a few of the car restoration shows on the Motortrend Channel that they set each wheel on a wooden stand. It looks like a series of 2x4s in a square; maybe 12-18 inches high. This seems to allow more room underneath the car to work - assuming one does not need to work with the wheels off.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts