Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what people use to cover their 33's or Suds up when not in use. I bought a reasonably cheap cover a while back but after a week of hot weather the sun managed to degrade it and it simply fell apart.
Does anyone know of a good, reasonably priced car cover that would be suitable for covering a car out in the sun? Im tired of my car getting hot and covered in dust when Im at work....plus I like my non-faded interior, un-cracked plastics and reasonable paintwork how they are.

Just thought Id ask.

Josh.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Car covers are bad news always.

Unless you get one of those tent ones... But if you drive it to work, it's going to get dirty on it, wind is going to rough up the dirt and ruin the paint anyway.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well all the car covers seem to be made of rubbish anyway, so I think I will take it on myself to make one, atleased then it will fit...elastic each end to grab onto the car

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi,

My experience in off-the-shelf car covers is not really good. These do not last more than a summer; they crack and get hard once the hot sun passes over them. For this reason I tried to have a hand-made cover by my local upholstery shop which I paid at least double price (150€) compared to the off-the-shelf (50-60€).

The main advanteges are that the cover is customly made for the 33 lines meaning that it fits perfectly on the car. There are rubber corners on the cover grabbing the bumper and only by strong wind will the cover unfold. As a safety measure the cover has four points where one can put a cord to keep the cover in place during the wind.

Finally the cover is waterproof in the seams and no water enters the area between the paint and the cover and most important it has now completed 2 years of service with no signs of wear!

My advice is to go for a hand made cover ... it sure pays back.

Regards

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sounds good to me, I was thinking of making one myself, doesnt look all that hard.
What material is yours made from, perhaps the material of a convertible car top? If it could be waterproof that would be even better...but not totally necessary.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hi,

I can't recall the name of the material but the interior surface which touches the paintwork feels to the touch like cotton. The interior surface is very soft and can easily slide on the car while unfolding it; the old cover interior material was way coarse than the current one.:rolleyes:

The exterior is silver color and although soft it looks durable enough compared to the off-the-shelf covers.

I am very pleased with the cover and I would buy the same one once the current one wears out.

Regards,

·
Registered
418 Posts
Re: the fit on the car...

The fit on my Alfasud is near perfect, so much that I'm actually rather amazed by it, since it isn't tailorfit... Again, I would recommend these guys. The reason I bought it was that it had just won a comparison test in Classics And Sport Cars.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts