Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Dean,

My Alfetta has lived outside under an Auto technica cover for the last 3 years with no problems. It is just starting to fail in a few spots now but will probably get through this winter. It is one of those triple layer jobs. Cost about $125.00 3 years ago at Auto Barn . From memory it is a medium size.

Give me a buzz if you want to have a look.

Cheers

Gully

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
re car covers

Thanks Gully.

I have a few older covers like that which have also torn over the years. After much use mind you. They were never fully waterproof and made a fair mess when it rained. I was thinking about a 100% waterproof one like a prestige brand as found on ebay.
While I'm at my current address I need something to protect my

NEW CAGED OUT CAMS LOG BOOKED GTV6!!!!! :)

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,640 Posts
You don't want something fully waterproof for an outside car. It'll trap moisture underneath with no way to get out and it'll damage the paint. Make sure to get something breathable.

I've kept the TR7 parked outside under a Noah cover and haven't had any problems rain or shine. Spend the extra bucks to get a custom fit one (mine never comes close to blowing off, but my two neighbors with "one size fits all" crap are always needing to weight them down with something).

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Gubi.
Point taken about the cover breathing however prestige claim that there 100% waterproof cover breaths????
Not to sure what to think of that.
A custom cover would be nice.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,640 Posts
Well, I don't know about prestige brand, sorry. I thought you meant one of those cheap plastic-y ones.

·
Registered
174 Posts
NEW CAGED OUT CAMS LOG BOOKED GTV6!!!!!
Now that sounds exciting. Can't wait to find out more.

Gully

PS Auto Technica breathes, fully waterproof, has never blown off has good retaining straps i have never needed to use. Only problem is inner skin seems to pick up every bit of debris if you ever happen to drop it ( dead leaves etc)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Paul when you say 100% waterproof does that mean even if it pisses rain the car stays dry?
Yes.

BTW Great Photo's can't wait top see it in the flesh

·
Registered
7,584 Posts
where you able to buy one?

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had a look at the cover Paul has and its what I was looking for. I haven't chased one up yet which is pretty slack of me as its done nothing but rain all winter. Similar covers have come up on ebay. Thats worth checking out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Key to covering the car is to make certain it is clean!!! Know the difference between dust and dirt...if it's been on the road - AT ALL - it's dirty!!

·
Registered
5,303 Posts
So you need to wash and wax the car before putting the cover on each time you drive?

I got one of those california dusters to wipe off light dust, and a flannel lined cover. Worked for years. But no cover is usable if it's already raining out, as the car is wet and possibly muddy at the edges. The duster is wax coated - wash as needed and use a spray furniture wax to renew.

Or just rinse and add a quick layer of hard carnuba wax every saturday morning - the car will be fine for decades without a cover.

Robert

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am currently working on this car for a client. He takes "Special care" of this car: uses a Calif Duster on it and covers it after every drive. You be the judge

50/50 before and after

1 - 14 of 14 Posts