Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 67 Duetto. I was changing my oil today and noticed there was not a cap in the Fill Hole on the Steering Box. Burman I guess, really do not know. What do people use to cap the hole with? There was plenty of oil in the box.

Thanks

Al

·
Super Moderator
10,634 Posts
I use a common hole fill plug like the one pictured below. They're available at most hardware stores. I forget if the size is 5/16" or 3/8", but it's somewhere in there.

There was a thread on this topic some years ago and I recall someone suggesting a more elegant solution. But I'm forgetting exactly what it was.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
I use a common hole fill plug like the one pictured below. They're available at most hardware stores. I forget if the size is 5/16" or 3/8", but it's somewhere in there.

There was a thread on this topic some years ago, and I recall someone having a more elegant solution. But I'm forgetting exactly what it was.

Just looked at mine and it appears to also be plastic. Far as I know original, although I know the box was not original because I replaced it with a used one back in the late 80s

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,535 Posts
Yeah, the original part was just a snap-in plastic plug to keep dirt and water out. Did not need to be a super tight fit (in fact, there was a TSB to cut a little vent slot in the cap to keep it from popping out under pressure when the box heated up.) I'd just measure the hole and get something that fits from the small parts section of the hardware store like the hole plug above.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,535 Posts
If you're curious here's a sketch of the original Burman plastic cap and the slot you're supposed to cut.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts