Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to sell my car as I cannot use it. I imported it to Orlando but as I live in the UK I've no idea when I can return. I am asking top dollar but I feel its justified plus am not in a rush to sell it. My son who lives in Orlando is handling the sale for me.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Good luck. Right hand drive is going to be the toughest thing about selling given that it's easy to find a LHD spider in the U.S. Perhaps you can find another Brit who wants a taste of home. I note that the listing shows it as a 3 speed automatic but your picture shows a manual.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure if that's the correct link I will check. Yes mine is a 5 speed manual and in all fairness I have used it for 4 months over there and right hand drive in such a small car is not an issue especially with the roof off. I do see your point though on saying that I have a BMW E30 M3 in UK they are all left hand drive and that's never bothered anyone or the price!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Not sure if that's the correct link I will check. Yes mine is a 5 speed manual and in all fairness I have used it for 4 months over there and right hand drive in such a small car is not an issue especially with the roof off. I do see your point though on saying that I have a BMW E30 M3 in UK they are all left hand drive and that's never bothered anyone or the price!
Be that as it may, RHD vehicles tend to be cheaper in the US than their LHD equivalents when both are available. For example, RHD JDM Supra or RX-7 will typically sell for quite a bit less than a USDM example in equivalent shape. A RHD car in the U.S. is a bit more exotic than a LHD car in the U.K. given that there's no way to drive from a RHD market to the U.S.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I'll echo what others have said. Gorgeous car, but RHD is going to make for a tough sale in the U.S. I'd estimate that the reduction in value is at least equivalent to the cost of shipping it back to the U.K.
If I were you, I would submit the car to Collecting Cars (the biggest U.K.-based online auction platform) and see if someone is willing to have it shipped back home.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I realise to some rhd is an issue but in reality it truly isn't but yes that goes against it. Thing is I am fortunate in having a few cars I wanted it in the USA to use that's why I sent it over there and didn't advertise it for sale here in the UK. It is only because of Covid that I have tested the market but as I say in the advert I am in no rush to sell and if the world returns to normal I would keep the car as its ideal in Florida. When I was over there before the world changed I was shocked at the amount of attention the car received as in people driving past giving me thumbs up people having pics took with it I could not park anywhere without someone commenting on the car. Everytime my son used it he would come back laughing at the amount of attention the car had gotten! A lot of people who knew what the car was could not get their heads around it being rhd funnily enough. I think the price I have advertised it at shows how desperate I am to sell it! Here it was at my home in the UK.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I'd tend to agree that the best course of action would likely be to ship it back to the UK and sell it there, or at least advertise in RHD markets. When I enquired about bringing my RHD GTV to California I got the same responses as other comments here re. the market value should I want to sell it in the US, from people very knowledgeable and active in both Alfa's and in the classic car market here and internationally.

·
Administrator
14,297 Posts
The difference with LHD in England, is that I believe some purposely buy LHD so they can drive in Europe. There, unfortunately, is no where in America, as far as I know, that has RHD roads

Great car though
Pete

Reactions: Aggie57

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
The difference with LHD in England, is that I believe some purposely buy LHD so they can drive in Europe. There, unfortunately, is no where in America, as far as I know, that has RHD roads

Great car though
Pete
Closest place to the continental U.S. would be former British colonies in the Caribbean- Cayman Islands is right hand drive. Obviously, not a lot of Americans will be driving over there.

·
Premium Member
14,996 Posts
Closest place to the continental U.S. would be former British colonies in the Caribbean- Cayman Islands is right hand drive.
Bermuda is a bit closer

·
Premium Member
14,996 Posts
You are correct. I mixed up the B islands, should have wrote Bahamas.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts