Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, searched for a long time but couldn't find anyone who experienced this.

I started driving my '85 Spider again after digging it out of my garage behind other projects. The brakes were sticking so I got another set of calipers, hoses and pads. Took the hubs to get turned, they came off fairly easily, came home and repacked the bearings and started to put it all together.

Left side first and the bearing won't go all the way in. Took the inner bearing out and tried to slip it on, almost but not quite. Spindle felt smooth, tried to nurse the hub on with a wooden mallet with no luck. Tried the other bearing as well.

Put the hub and bearings on the other side and it fits perfectly. Tried the other hub with the other bearing, same problem.

Crazy or what?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I didn't get pics but the weather is too nice, and that doesn't happen often here. This morning I cleaned the spindle and felt a small ridge. Filed it down a little bit and the bearing still wouldn't fit on.

After considering the option of the car sitting while waiting for another spindle, I used the power of persuasion - liberally greased seal on first, and a piece of pipe and a hammer to get the bearing on. If it lasts three weeks, I have to go to LA then and can get some parts while I'm there.

But for now it works great.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts