Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for clutch master rebuild kit for early production 1968 1750 veloce with a Bonaldi master, cyl. parts places say N/A what am I supposed to do, junk the car? will any thing else work? I am used to reworking things. Also, can any make slave cyl. be used? mine does not have a m.f.g. name legible. If not, what are the differences? any suggestions sure would be a big help. THANKS !

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
looking for clutch master rebuild kit for early production 1968 1750 veloce with a Bonaldi master, cyl. parts places say N/A what am I supposed to do, junk the car? will any thing else work? I am used to reworking things. Also, can any make slave cyl. be used? mine does not have a m.f.g. name legible. If not, what are the differences? any suggestions sure would be a big help. THANKS !
papjam may be able to help with replacement seals. I ended up buying a new replacement from Classic Alfa or Highwood motors --not a bonaldi. I took it apart and cleaned it well before I installed it--it works very well. I bought a slave cylinder from them also and did the same thing. Keep the originals (or send them to papjam)--someone may make a kit at some point. Same with the brake master---

You can junk the 1750 at my house if you need too---

http://www.highwoodalfa.com/bd959823-fdd0-4ae2-962b-aa778cd3b7c8-9.html

http://www.classicalfa.com/shop/category5_1.htm

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Can you not just replace the M/C with an ATE unit for which you can get replacement seal kits? I have a good used ATE clutch M/C off an 88 Veloce. I can send it to you and you can see if it compares, or try to use in in place of the Bonaldi. If it works out for you, you can pay me for it. If not, just return it. Only risk is shipping at this point. There might be a difference in the size of the hard metal line fitting. Otherwise you should be able to make the conversion.

Just let me know if you want to try this solution.

Robert Hill in Memphis, TN

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
papjam may be able to help with replacement seals.
Unfortunately, I can't. I've yet to find kits for these floor mounted M/Cs (although I don't spend all day every day looking for them either). They could be out there, somewhere, and I would be very grateful for any info on where to get them. Lacking a kit, the current solution is to replace it with a new master.

Any make slave cylinder will work (provided it is for an Alfa 105). Be aware though that the replacement slaves do not have an adjustable, threaded pushrod (the original slaves have adjustable pushrods). These non-adjustable slaves will work just fine on the Series 1 cars provided that the clutch fork return spring is NOT installed. If the spring is installed, the clutch won't work.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
R.HILL, thanks for the response, and offer to try your used unit. I may need to do this,as a last resort. I will hang for the moment, and see if there are other options.thanks!

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP
16,232 Posts
Dave,

The master cylinder that Robert has offered will NOT fit your car. Your 1968, with floor mounted pedals, has the master mounted under the floor and has a remote mounted reservoir. Robert's master is for hanging pedal cars (1971 and newer) and has an attached reservoir. The ONLY similarity between the two is that they both provide hydraulic pressure to the slave cylinder.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I found this one day, I dont know if it would still help you.
I just copyed it in here

I would strongly advise against trying to rebuild one of these by simple
re-kitting. Have tried to do this a couple of times, as have others and I
can assure you that it doesn't work, or doesn't for long. There are people
around who will re-sleeve the cylinder and put new seals in it. I'm told
that this is more successful but have not tried it myself, preferring to
use a new cylinder when required.
Assuming you can find a new cylinder of course....The local (New Zealand)
"expert" on resleeving these cylinders with stainless liners is:

Just Brakes
340 Church Street, Penrose, Auckland, NZ
Fax +64 9 525 7509
Ph +64 9 579 4666

I haven't used them, but others have (for these particular cylinders), and
say that they do good work. Provide a 25 year guarantee, FWIW. They also
claim to have kits for most cylinders. Could be worth a fax: It wouldn't
cost much to send your cylinder over the Tasman if you can't find anybody
suitable in Aus.

If it's just a kit you want, the usual EU suppliers should also be able to
help(?): EB, Highwood, Rainer Hurtiene etc. In practice there are probably
some generic seals that match: have you tried taking the seals along to your
local PBR agent (Repco)? They certainly have the seals for the boosters.

Let us know how you get on!

Mark Battley

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for info. I guess my best bet would be a new master+slave. I prefer to deal in the states,as my computer knowledge is minimal. Any suggestions as who would stock the master? I.A.P.does not list one for my car.this is the only catalogue I have. I also need headlight assy,s. any available ? Thank You to all responders !!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts