Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Can't bleed rear brakes

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Alfisto Steve 
#1 ·
Hello All.. Summer has been whipping by and I finally have had a chance to get my 164 out.. Found out my brakes were gone.. no brake fluid was left in the container. I refilled and then placed my power bleeder with new fluid at 20psi, and let it sit.. It didn't budge for over an hour and I couldn't see any leaks. My theory is I didn't fully get all the air out from when I had the system very dry and as time passed it just all bubbled up out? possible?

Anyway.. as the subject says.. Even with my the wheel fully compressed I'm unable to get the driver side rear to bleed even almost fully removing the bleeder screw. Think badly adjusted rear proportioning valve or bad/plugged caliper, or even bad proportioning valve in the front keeping pressure going to the rear [kinda thought the rears were not being used as much as they should have been when they were working]? (passenger rear bleeds very slowly)

Damon

#2 ·
Sounds like you hit the nail on the head, probably a proportioning valve or something has gone bad, it should at least bleed out something. I would disconnect the brake line going to the valve and verify you have flow, then work forward from there. These cars like to be driven, when they sit, all hell breaks loose.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Yeah, think I'm going to start going up the chain to see where the issue is. Travis, I think it's called a Movit Power bleeder with it's own pump. The instructions call for checking for leaks with 10psi, and then perform the bleeding at 20psi, but not over 20psi. Know what you mean though, although have seen many that just plug into your tire to supply continuous pressure and of course that's at least 30psi..

Damon
91 164S, 93 Honda Accord, 94 RX-7 TT, 01 Acura RL

#5 ·
My bleeder which uses tire pressure to operate came with directions to reduce tire pressure to 20 psi before using but no big deal as long as you open caliper bleeder valve then apply 32 psi to bleeder. Bleed until you get clear fluid and then close bleeder and release hose from tire so you don't over pressurize brake fluid reservoir. It is simple as that.

I bleed every time with a full 32-35 psi tire and bleed it down wheel at a time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.