Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a gentle move of the stalk and it just falls off in my hand - metal sheared off!

Scares me to think of what else might be fatigued and could just break off.

Anyway, I've never replaced this before - any tips? Looks like this would be the part to change: Alfa Romeo and Fiat Column and Headlight Switches

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
I had the same experience last year and had the same disturbing question in my mind. I had my mechanic replace with a new unit. He said it was a European version... which meant more time figuring out the color coding of the wires. Works great and I almost (not really) have gotten past the anxiety of what else is about to break.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Same story times 3. I had one where the headlight stalk just fell out of it's hole, in my hand. Nothing seemed actually broken, as the lever still had the splines on the end. I was thinking about trying to glue it back in... but this laver twists, as well as flips. So, I wasn't sure if I'd just be gluing it so it didn't do anything??

I'll be checking back to see if anyone has found a way to do a quick repair.

It's always a thought to take two bad ones to create one good one. These rascals are made up of 3 or 4 modules. Anyone ever tried removing a good module to swap onto a cluster needing just one segment?

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Reminds me of that old Rodney Dangerfield joke. I was going to work this morning and got my jacket out of the closet and the clothes pole fell off. I picked up my brief case and the handle fell off. I opened the front door and the knob fell off. I'm afraid to go to the bathroom!

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
Mine was twisting as well, and finally broke at the base, which is plastic. Guess I was lucky? I used some JB Weld and a tiny ziptie. Not the prettiest fix (lucking obscured by steering shroud), but it hasn't moved since.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for commiserating all...seems like that part is just weak - like the clutch pin pivot. Hopefully the brake pedal assembly isn't like this.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Pivot pin bushings

Don't know if we are referring to the same part(s) but I duplicated the clutch and brake peddle pivot , plastic, bushings in brass plus added a grease zerk at both locations. Seemed like a logical upgrade.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts