Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was unable to upload an updated 105 spring database in Xcel 97, only 42Kb and it won't go. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
10,796 Posts
Save it as a csv file and change the extension to txt.
If you do it that way, it has the advantage that others could download the .txt file and open it with Excel (using the csv conversion procedure). Then they could manipulate the data. But the downside is that the .txt file isn't very readable in its native form.

Might another option be to write it as a .pdf file (are pdf's supported?) from Excel so that others could view it with its original formatting? One downside: I have found that when I do this, the resulting pdf files tend to be large.

·
Registered
9,453 Posts
A couple of things: Yes, permissible file types for uploading are severely limited (most BBs do that to prevent the spreading of viruses).

TXT or CSV files may not automatically open in Excel when one clicks on the file name from, say, Windows Explorer because the application name may not be associated with that file extension. The file association can be overridden by right-clicking on the file and selecting "Open with..." or from within Excel via "File -> Open...".

Last but not least: PDF files are easy. If the intent is to show a table, PDF files may be a good solution, but users will not be able to modify the cells. File size can be minimized by selecting (highlighting) the cells to be printed and then just printing that selection in the printing dialog. Taking a screenshot and uploading it as an image may also be an option.

·
Premium Member
14,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Taking a screenshot and uploading it as an image may also be an option.
That is what I did. Thanks for the additional enlightenment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts