Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing some reading up on the so-called canister in the hidden compartment of my 1986 Spider.
In 33 years of ownership I have yet to open up this hidden compartment.

I have been going through my Spiderwebbed workshop manual, also I have the excellent L-Jetronic information from HPSI Motosports.

Also, if I do open up the compartment and take it out, any way of verifiying it is working correctly. How do you check such a charcoal canister for proper working?

Many thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been doing some reading up on the so-called canister in the hidden compartment of my 1986 Spider.
In 33 years of ownership I have yet to open up this hidden compartment.

I have been going through my Spiderwebbed workshop manual, also I have the excellent L-Jetronic information from HPSI Motosports.

Also, if I do open up the compartment and take it out, any way of verifiying it is working correctly. How do you check such a charcoal canister for proper working?

Many thanks

·
Registered
1978 Spider
349 Posts
I believe that's a vapor canister. As long as it's not plugged and you can blow thru it, then it's probably fine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Johan,
Interesting to meet you here! Trust you are keeping well.
if it is charcoal canister (that is what I make up from the descriptions in the manual, it is filled, or should be filled with charcoal. I guess?

Jeroen

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Jeroen,

i few years ago i cleaned mine. As i remember i wondered the weight, i guessed it was empty. Do you have problems with the spider or are you just checking the injection system.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,524 Posts
The canister in the compartment behind the front right wheel is full of charcoal. The vapor canister in the trunk is empty.

·
Administrator
17,043 Posts
The plastic tank in the compartment in the truck is for vapor recovery - no charcoal.

The metal tank in the right front wheel well does probably have activated charcoal inside but the can is sealed - not easily serviced. The best you can do is make sure the hoses are intact & connected and the one way & vent valves operate properly.

Camera on front tire facing backwards:

vapor canister mounts:

canister removed:

·
Registered
8,104 Posts
don't know what year the changeover was made but the charcoal canister on the S4 is plastic. The metal ones could rust.
I wouldn't bother trying to "clean" it, as long as the hoses to/from it are not blocked.
charcoal canister2.JPG
Guy on utube cut one open (different car), looks like there are just a bunch of charcoal pellets
charcoal.jpg
and just for fun, this is my favorite photo showing how to get at it:)
charcoal canister.jpg

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Yep, it is just an empty plastic tank. Only weighs a few ounces. Can't imagine there's really anything to go wrong with it as the only thing that goes in it is fuel vapors. I'd just leave it be .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts