Alfa Romeo Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
9,938 Posts
You should have this type of buckle to work with the loop. Simply push the end onto the loop to fasten, then pull on the black plastic body to release.
Those buckles are the most intuitive harness latching system ever designed. Just push them on and pull them off - no little button to locate. It always amazes me that this style of latch wasn't used more widely.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
One nicely restored S2 USA

When viewing Canepa's images of your car, I tried very hard to find something amiss. The yellow fog lights and, possibly the front carpets and door panels, are the only items I could see that were not as shipped from the factory. The oil pan guard was an available accessory.

Unless they changed for 1971, the front floors would have only rubber mats. The carpet would come to, but not under, the rubber mats.

On the door panels, there would normally be another chrome strip running horizontally between the window crank and the vent window knob. Again, this may be a 1971 thing as I've seen other 71s without it.
Door panel look correct for a S2, carpets look correct as well. I question the arm rests and both window winders, they may be USA spec, different from the Euro spec parts? Looks like the restorer installed Euro tail lenses, Konis and Ansa twin tips. I guess the restorer also painted parts of the front pipe black but not the front resonator? Wonder why they only left that silver when the rest of the system is black?
Any way all nit picking aside what a lovely restoration back to near original, you can almost imagine that you are viewing factory promo photos.
I would love/hate to know what the restoration cost/purchase price of this 1750 was.

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
After looking at my 1750 GTV brochures the USA and Euro cars have different arm rests and winders, as I suspected.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I called Canepa prior to this thread being started having seen the car on their web page. The gentleman said the car had been sold and I reluctantly asked the selling price. He said the car was offered for $95,000 and " sold for a price close to that". If true, is this a new high watermark to a 1971 GTV price? Granted it is an exceptional example.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I called Canepa prior to this thread being started having seen the car on their web page. The gentleman said the car had been sold and I reluctantly asked the selling price. He said the car was offered for $95,000 and " sold for a price close to that". If true, is this a new high watermark to a 1971 GTV price? Granted it is an exceptional example.
Within about 15%, and I suppose a high price, but what is the price of happiness. And there comes a time, when time is the most valuable commodity. Still have not driven it as it has been wet, but the weekend looks promising. So, I would look at this perhaps as an outlier as in an unusual auction result. But then again, why not? It is a great car with some very neat documentation. It was the gas receipts that sealed the deal lol.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I totally understand. I am currently in the process of building a very late GTV2000, usa spec, with tinted glass, AC, everything, that was sold, converted to Webers by the german importer, to the Netherlands. Faggio, tan interior, Absolutely great car. This is being totally refurbished, everything new and EXACTLY as left the factory.
The goal is to present a slightly used car. Not a restoration. This car will be for sale at something like 45000 euro's.
Expensive? No! A lot of money? Yes! I've over 28000 in the car already and not even close to finished.
Apart from the fact that this kind of quality never comes cheap, and this is a very rare car indeed, what wtih the specs and original color combo, it is indeed a high price for a GTV2000.
But, there are people out there, I've quite some customers like that, who have far more money than time.Time is a far more valuable commodity than money.
If you do not want to wait on a restoration, do want to enjoy immediatly, do not want to have your car sitting at a workshop with whatever problems, etc, and you just want THE BEST, you will be willing to pay more than the , say, average, market price for any car.
Now I find 90000 US very steep, but given, yours is a 1750, GREAT color, and truly STUPENDOUS condition, with all the paperwork, the history, the work done and the quality of it. This car is not only a lot of money but also expensive. Yet, I feel the price for a car like yours is justified. Really.
Basically, just try to find another like it.

There is also this: What price enjoyment? You have several other fine machines. What does a complete engine renovation of a Daytona cost? Everything? Close to 100K? 60K? So for an amount in between just an engine job, you get one complete, great driver. Just hop in and drive. Immediately.

One thing I'd like to say.
Do Drive it! Like you stole it. Thrash it. Warm it up and really really drive it. Not just a hop around town. It needs 10 miles to warm up. Then really USE it.
Rev it up, use the brakes. Do not pamper it because it will not like that. If it gets a stone chip, stuff like that, so what. Really really drive it, take it to work. To the golf club, whatever. Take it to a track day.
And then, end of season, have it pampered again and do the same all over next year. You will be so much more happy.
If it rains, so what. It's a car, right... It's supposed to be able to get wet.
People here buy this kind of car for exactly that. Their too expensive Ferraris stay in the lockup or garage, and they USE their Alfa's. And really, bang for the buck your Alfa is no less , maybe even more fun than driving a Daytona.
Also look for nice long trips you can take it on. Like for example stuff like the california Mille or whatever.
Throw in some weekend bags and enjoy!
Good luck with the car...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Within about 15%, and I suppose a high price, but what is the price of happiness. And there comes a time, when time is the most valuable commodity. Still have not driven it as it has been wet, but the weekend looks promising. So, I would look at this perhaps as an outlier as in an unusual auction result. But then again, why not? It is a great car with some very neat documentation. It was the gas receipts that sealed the deal lol.
I think that's a realistic price for a very high quality, well restored GTV. I was originally getting a GTV restored (I don't the ability to do any work myself) and to get it done properly by a top quality restorer here would have cost a similar order of magnitude. Which is why I had to back out and get a somewhat lower quality car at a price I could afford.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Finally we take her out! And this is the first time we have even driven the car, and we now know what you know!! It is a delight to drive!! Julie said "Don't dare tell anyone I said this, but I like the way this drives better than my Ferraris." Ok, so I tell the Alfa community lol. What I like is the smallness of it, it fits like a glove, is beautiful, and just fast enough. The ride is tight, suspension is flat enough, yet absorbs all the road has to offer without a fuss. She says this is the perfect car for her. Here are a few of my favorite pictures from today.

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
All around smiles! Now if Clemson will pull it through!!!! **** this games is waaaayyyy too close.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
not sure about the time thing, it is showing I posted at 12:41 AM? My computer says 7:42PM

·
Premium Member
6,347 Posts
Welcome aboard! One thing about the Alfa, you will always have a smile. Can't say that about the other, I should know:) I drove my Berlina 750 miles a couple of weekends ago and was all smiles and refreshed after. The GTV is in for a 5 year refresh. Enjoy!

·
Registered
138 Posts
Glad you are enjoying the car. Sounds like she is nicely set up, they are an absolute dream when everything is right on them. Just off for a drive in mine!

·
Registered
106 Posts
You have a wonderful wonderful car. I love Pebble Beach week and running our Ferrari around but have missed it the last four years. Canepa's shop did an appraisal for insurance on my wife's '67 GTV years ago. The black bakelite-kind steering wheel was stock in ours too. I put a Nardi in it and she made me take it out. It's in our '89 Spider now. Her GTV was totally restored back in 1990 and is stored in her mother's garage in Pleasant Hill, driven every couple of weeks. It was her first car her grandmother gave her a loan to buy it. Another Alfa family. I used to structure leases at Wells Fargo bank for Bruce's Porsche steel slant nose conversions he used to do a few of back in the '80's. In 1987 you could get one for $72,000. I saw one in the pictures you posted. Bruce is blessed, I doubt he will ever retire. Enjoy that GTV, people will always walk up and say, "Wow, what a nice car, what is it?" I'm a Newbie too, (Again)

·
Registered
106 Posts
When Mindy put her restored '67 GTV in storage at Mom's it still had the track wheels & tires on it from a track day at Sears with the Alfa Club. She drove it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
That is so cool! Bruce seemed like the real deal and genuine. The ladies would get along fabulously. Just look at the way she sets her table-most of it the Alfa Records. I think most of us guys would approve!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
@;
not sure about the time thing, it is showing I posted at 12:41 AM? My computer says 7:42PM
Can share your joy in victory as a fellow Alfa owner and Clemson alum.

You can set your time zone in prefs.

My Alfa ride was cold yesterday as I drove up the local turnpike to put my Spider into winter storage in Merrimack. Heavy winds with temps in the low 40's F.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts