Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talk about a big letdown.....

My dealer just notified me that my Stelvio Quad came in. However, just as I proceeded to start the paperwork, they told me that the Quad was not "leaseable".......meaning Alfa doesn't offer any lease options on the Stelvio Quad at the moment. Given that I generally don't like to buy 1st year models, esp. Alfa's with their questionable reliability, I was definitely NOT interested in financing it. Not only that, they marked up the MSRP by an extra $3,500! (which is kind of funny given how poorly Alfa's are selling).

Anyways, Motor Trend reviewed the Stelvio Quad recently. Although they praised the performance aspect saying that it was extremely fast, they also lambasted it for it's poor interior build quality (squeaks, rattles galore). Given these facts, why would Alfa force interested buyers to purchase or finance the car? Leasing such a car is the safer way to go, but I guess Alfa knows "better." :rolleyes:

Reactions: aTOMic

·
Supporting Vendor
4,406 Posts
This was the same scenario when the Giulia Quadrifoglio came out - Alfa didn't officially offer any leases on them for the first year. Chrysler Capital does not know how to write leases for this vehicle because they are so new to the market they don't know what the depreciation will be, and they don't want to get burned if it is more than they estimate. And they probably feel there is sufficient demand for the vehicle right now that they don't have to offer aggressive lease deals.

I am surprised your dealer didn't look for alternative leasing options other than factory financing for you, instead of simply stating a lease was not available. There are many other companies that banks and dealerships use for leases such as Ally Financial, and you can probably get your own bank and/or credit union to arrange a lease as well. You can, literally, lease anything from a new car to a million dollar collector car.

Now, of course most factory lease deals are heavily subsidized, and you may lose that aspect if you lease with a 3rd party company but the option is still there for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This was the same scenario when the Giulia Quadrifoglio came out - Alfa didn't officially offer any leases on them for the first year. Chrysler Capital does not know how to write leases for this vehicle because they are so new to the market they don't know what the depreciation will be, and they don't want to get burned if it is more than they estimate. And they probably feel there is sufficient demand for the vehicle right now that they don't have to offer aggressive lease deals.

I am surprised your dealer didn't look for alternative leasing options other than factory financing for you, instead of simply stating a lease was not available. There are many other companies that banks and dealerships use for leases such as Ally Financial, and you can probably get your own bank and/or credit union to arrange a lease as well. You can, literally, lease anything from a new car to a million dollar collector car.

Now, of course most factory lease deals are heavily subsidized, and you may lose that aspect if you lease with a 3rd party company but the option is still there for you.
I actually did brought up the possibility of 3rd party leasing options, but the dealer was giving me the impression that they wanted to really sell the car to the highest bidder. (hence the markup)

I really do like the Stelvio Quad, but I'm not that desperate to be taken for a ride. I can wait. Besides, early reviews about the bad build quality has me a bit concerned right now. It might be smarter to wait a couple years to see how the model progresses. Maybe in a couple years, you can pick up a Quad for half the price given the terrible depreciation of Italian cars.

Reactions: aTOMic

·
Supporting Vendor
4,406 Posts
I actually did brought up the possibility of 3rd party leasing options, but the dealer was giving me the impression that they wanted to really sell the car to the highest bidder. (hence the markup)
I get that, it's human nature to try and make a quick profit when a new car is in high demand, but IMHO it is a short sighted strategy on the dealer's part.

For example I know a couple of dealers that charged huge markups on the first 4Cs that were available, and in the process really turned off some loyal Alfisti. In contrast, dealers who sold their initial 4C allocations at MSRP stand a good chance of selling a Giulia or a Stelvio to the same customer.

You are probably right - you'll be able to pick up a Stelvio Quad next year without all the games.

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
... Maybe in a couple years, you can pick up a Quad for half the price given the terrible depreciation of Italian cars.
Italians certainly aren't alone in that arena. My buddy is selling his near mint 2009 750Li, +$80k new. I was shocked to see the going rate for that car is under $5k...

·
Administrator
12,928 Posts
Amazing. Do they want to shift cars or fail again? Shocking IMO.

Wonder what Sweater man will think of this if and when he finds out?
Pete

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,517 Posts
I drove over to Shreveport recently and drove a Stelvio and I was impressed with how quiet it was. Granted it wasn't a Quad but it was quick and tight with near zero rear vision. The interior was nice and although it wasn't super RR luxurious it was tasteful and well done. As far as a Quad Stelvio I gotta agree with Clarkson on this one, why have a slower and worse handling crazy expensive Quad option when the Giulia has it in spades. But hey, I get it. Assuming they weren't fudging the numbers they said they'd sold 15 cars in the last month. If you know the Shreveport/Bossier market that's not to bad.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
That Alfa interiors are poor quality thing that some reviewers come up with is complete bs. They are just trying to make up some sort of fault because they think it balances the review. We have two year 2000 156s, one 20004 GT, one 2007 147 and a 2007 159 in our family and there are no problems with the interiors of any of them. I also have a pair of 2007 GT front seats in my Range Rover classic and they are perfect. Alfa make just about the most comfortable seats you can get in a car too.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Seats are great . . Especially the Sports versions with giant bolsters. . . I would avoid it if you are a wide person!

As far as interior quality, seems pretty typical for current market of $40k cars . . . for cars in the $80k range? Maybe not so much

·
Registered
647 Posts
I own one and love it and laugh at reviews where the worst thing they pick on is the turn indicator or av knob. Coming from a M5, it s been fun, easy, comfortable with zero issues. Sure the values will take a hit and am banking on 4Cs with high miles darkening my garage door in the future as it will as timeless as my 67 GTV is now. So glad to see that the emotion hasnt left Alfa's dna in teh new versions, its the main reason I have them in my life vs everything else.

·
Premium Member
9,804 Posts
I own one and love it and laugh at reviews where the worst thing they pick on is the turn indicator or av knob. Coming from a M5, it s been fun, easy, comfortable with zero issues. Sure the values will take a hit and am banking on 4Cs with high miles darkening my garage door in the future as it will as timeless as my 67 GTV is now. So glad to see that the emotion hasnt left Alfa's dna in teh new versions, its the main reason I have them in my life vs everything else.
I like the way you think!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I went to pick up my Stelvio from dealer after mechanic broke windshield when they were fixing some recall issue... I could wrote full page of issues and funny stories with Maserati dealership (not the car itself), it goes beyond my understanding how poorly they treat customers. After third attempt to pick up the car I asked if I can get Q as replacement car, I was told they don't allow customer to test drive it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I work for a volvo dealer and we are selling XC40's with a $2,000 addendum because of the limited availability. You have to remember we are at the dealership to turn a profit and unless you had a price already negotiated it's up to the dealer to determine the selling price.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Talk about a big letdown.....

My dealer just notified me that my Stelvio Quad came in. However, just as I proceeded to start the paperwork, they told me that the Quad was not "leaseable".......meaning Alfa doesn't offer any lease options on the Stelvio Quad at the moment. Given that I generally don't like to buy 1st year models, esp. Alfa's with their questionable reliability, I was definitely NOT interested in financing it. Not only that, they marked up the MSRP by an extra $3,500! (which is kind of funny given how poorly Alfa's are selling).

Anyways, Motor Trend reviewed the Stelvio Quad recently. Although they praised the performance aspect saying that it was extremely fast, they also lambasted it for it's poor interior build quality (squeaks, rattles galore). Given these facts, why would Alfa force interested buyers to purchase or finance the car? Leasing such a car is the safer way to go, but I guess Alfa knows "better." :rolleyes:
I don't know what all this talk about "poor interior quality" is. I've driven Jags, BMWs, Mercedes, and Audis recently and I wouldn't say any of these had "better" quality than the Stelvio or Giulia. They're different, and I'd say the Jag and the BMW were not as nice on the inside. This is completely subjective. Also, I don't know why people are so hung up on leasing. When I went to buy my new Giulia, the thought of leasing didn't even cross my mind. Why would I throw money down a rabbit hole and not get an asset in the end? I plan on keeping my car until it has 200k and is 25 years old at least.
Also, worries about first-year models are understandable but isn't that what warranties are for? I've now obtained coverage for 125k mi and 8 years through the purchase of an extended warranty. After 7500mi, the new Giulia has been phenomenally reliable. My final point is why are you worried about maintenance costs when you already have a Maserati, a Ferrari, and a Lamborghini? Money is quite obviously not an object and these cars are legendary for requiring extraordinarily deep pockets to maintain... Insurance alone on one of those for a year undoubtedly costs more than I spend on maintenance for my fleet of eight affordable cars each year. The repairs are free under warranty for the Stelvio Quad, so why not buy in to Alfa for the long term? As they say, however, "tastus non disputandem est".

·
Premium Member
16,074 Posts
" I plan on keeping my car until it has 200k and is 25 years old at least"

Lol, our newest car is the 94LS. Our daily driver since 1994 has been the 91S with 190k miles on it now. Finally, I'm putting in a new clutch, it's first replacement.

Reactions: jeffb99tx

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
" I plan on keeping my car until it has 200k and is 25 years old at least"

Lol, our newest car is the 94LS. Our daily driver since 1994 has been the 91S with 190k miles on it now. Finally, I'm putting in a new clutch, it's first replacement.
Nice. My 164S has almost 170k and 70k of them are mine. I was six years old in 1994... We'll see what the situation is in twenty years. My thought is that the Giulia is one of the last generation of pure gasoline powered sports sedans available. No driver aids beyond traction control. No electric motors. An engine always ready to burst into full song. I'd sooner take the train than ride in a self-driving car, and no dollar I've ever earned will go to line Elon's pockets. I think I'll keep the Giulia forever.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts