Alfa Romeo Forums banner

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
This will be a very solid well restored car when your done, power too you for being so thorough and careful in the rebuild.
Tim

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Replacing the lower rad support and repairing the attaching structure properly has proved to be rather time consuming , awkward and not for the faint of heart. Careful cutting and separating of several different layers is required , I think they started building the front end of the car with the lower rad support.

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,928 Posts
An area of my car i enjoyed doing. Nice work
Pete

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hi London, your doing a great job here, you might consider putting in some extra and larger drain vents at the base of the lower valance, a couple of other people did the theory is if the water and dirt can be flushed through it is less likely they will trap moisture and grit leading to internal rust.
Tim

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Hi London, your doing a great job here, you might consider putting in some extra and larger drain vents at the base of the lower valance, a couple of other people did the theory is if the water and dirt can be flushed through it is less likely they will trap moisture and grit leading to internal rust.
Tim
Thanks Tim , sounds like a good idea with the extra drainage holes , where are the holes added ? To the bottom trailing edge of the outer lower valance panel ? (The piece I haven't installed yet)

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Thanks Tim , sounds like a good idea with the extra drainage holes , where are the holes added ? To the bottom trailing edge of the outer lower valance panel ? (The piece I haven't installed yet)
There are five (??) flutes right at the bottom where it attaches to the rad support. Some have extended those flutes higher to allow better drainage. Another option is to space the panel off the rad support with plastic or rubber grommets and rivet through leaving a gap through which one could flush rinse water. Or drill extra holes but has any one done that.

I have drilled about 2.5 cm holes in the panel at the right rear lower fender below the trunk floor that allows drainage of that troublesome cavity.

Ciao

Ken

·
Registered
304 Posts
Hi again, "1750 GT" made this mod on his car you might like to have a look at his thread showing what he did to this area.
Tim

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
After lengthy contemplation , investigation and advice considered I finished installing the lower front cowl repair panel without any modification or deviation from original . I have applied corrosion preventative finish and will carry out a good oil spray after paint is completed , I did check the drain flutes on the trailing edge and they do line up and allow quite a bit of drainage as well as the large square hole in the middle just forward of the rad support and you do get some drainage into the wheel wells off either side .

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Hello to everyone out there in Alfa land , hope everyone is safe and healthy and those that have been affected my heart goes out to you . I haven't posted much of my progress as the process of restoring the under side of the car has been slow and uneventful but has finished up nicely ready for paint . I basically went inch by inch down the bottom of the car with a scraper and a small wire brush (many evenings with a beer and some music) , very therapeutic but a bit hard on the fingers. De-greased , prepped with a rust inhibitor , primed and rubberized undercoated it , ready for paint . now on to the engine bay !

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
Excellent job here London, that shell has turned out very well after your hard work, the structural integrity is back and now on to the paint where I think the reward for effort is shown. Hard to think how bad the floor and sills looked a while back and now it is so clean. I hope to get my Sprint GT project off the ground this year I have studied the species long enough! Education takes time where would we be with out the Alfa Bulletin Board. Tim

·
Registered
3 Posts
Lovely work, that belly looks superb! It is the slow methodical jobs that sometimes give the most reward! So much easier to just send for for blasting, but where is the fun in that?? - So good to see how nicely it is all turning out! Thanks for keeping us posted! My GTV body resto has taken a back seat during lockdown, the restrictions in South Africa are VERY tight, so can't even buy sandpaper (no beer either :( , so I am spending my time on all the auxiliaries for now. Looking forward to your next post!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Back at it again finally , had to take a slight detour to restore a Triumph TR6 Frame . Rear window frame restoration begins ! Decided to repair it similar to the way others have done using multiple pieces , will add photos as it progresses.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
So I decide to break down and buy the lower window frame repair piece from Classic Alfa as I think it will make a much better repair in a very critical area . I only needed to use a portion of it as shown but was able to utilize almost all of the remaining in repairing what was found under the outer panel after I removed it.

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
This piece is a small separate "Z" shaped frame that supports and attaches the parcel shelf to the lower window frame and is obviously an area that collects condensation . I was able to utilize the trunk lid seal channel area (with some modification ) to replace this piece in sections to get the correct curves and height .

Attachments

61 - 80 of 89 Posts