Alfa Romeo Forums banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
This will be a very solid well restored car when your done, power too you for being so thorough and careful in the rebuild.
Tim

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Replacing the lower rad support and repairing the attaching structure properly has proved to be rather time consuming , awkward and not for the faint of heart. Careful cutting and separating of several different layers is required , I think they started building the front end of the car with the lower rad support.

Attachments

·
Administrator
12,126 Posts
An area of my car i enjoyed doing. Nice work
Pete

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hi London, your doing a great job here, you might consider putting in some extra and larger drain vents at the base of the lower valance, a couple of other people did the theory is if the water and dirt can be flushed through it is less likely they will trap moisture and grit leading to internal rust.
Tim

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Hi London, your doing a great job here, you might consider putting in some extra and larger drain vents at the base of the lower valance, a couple of other people did the theory is if the water and dirt can be flushed through it is less likely they will trap moisture and grit leading to internal rust.
Tim
Thanks Tim , sounds like a good idea with the extra drainage holes , where are the holes added ? To the bottom trailing edge of the outer lower valance panel ? (The piece I haven't installed yet)

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Thanks Tim , sounds like a good idea with the extra drainage holes , where are the holes added ? To the bottom trailing edge of the outer lower valance panel ? (The piece I haven't installed yet)
There are five (??) flutes right at the bottom where it attaches to the rad support. Some have extended those flutes higher to allow better drainage. Another option is to space the panel off the rad support with plastic or rubber grommets and rivet through leaving a gap through which one could flush rinse water. Or drill extra holes but has any one done that.

I have drilled about 2.5 cm holes in the panel at the right rear lower fender below the trunk floor that allows drainage of that troublesome cavity.

Ciao

Ken

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hi again, "1750 GT" made this mod on his car you might like to have a look at his thread showing what he did to this area.
Tim

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
After lengthy contemplation , investigation and advice considered I finished installing the lower front cowl repair panel without any modification or deviation from original . I have applied corrosion preventative finish and will carry out a good oil spray after paint is completed , I did check the drain flutes on the trailing edge and they do line up and allow quite a bit of drainage as well as the large square hole in the middle just forward of the rad support and you do get some drainage into the wheel wells off either side .

Attachments

61 - 71 of 71 Posts