Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have run a 1750 in my 63 gulia spider for the last 30 years or so. Finally pulled the motor to re-paint and clean things up. I want to use a 1600 water pump but the flange that covers the fi pump belt (if there were one now - there isn't), and has the stud to hange the fi pump, is in the way.

Question - can that flange be carefully trimmed back to the otherwise vertical part of the case?

I don't know if that is properly called a flange or some other word. But it hits the bottom of a 1600 pump plus it interferes with the hose intake.

Thanks

Neil

·
Registered
326 Posts
Yes, I have done this several times. Best to do some trial fittings before the engine is installed into the car.

Regards,
Don

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!

Neil

·
Super Moderator
11,359 Posts
Yes, I have done this several times. Best to do some trial fittings before the engine is installed into the car.
I agree with Don - I've done it too. However, there is an oil supply to the Spica pump that needs to be plugged. If you saw off the flange, you can't still bolt on the block-off plate that seals the oil supply. I drilled and tapped that hole for a plug when I did this conversion.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I installed a "homemade" block off plate that a friend and I made 30 years ago. The part I was thinking of trimming wouldn't affect that block-off plate or the oil passage it covers. Is there some other oil passage that will open up if the flange is trimmed?

Thanks

Neil

·
Super Moderator
11,359 Posts
The part I was thinking of trimming wouldn't affect that block-off plate or the oil passage it covers. Is there some other oil passage that will open up if the flange is trimmed?
I'm having trouble visualizing what you're describing. I can't picture what you would be trimming off that wouldn't remove those four 8mm studs that used to hold the Spica pump to the front cover. So, without understanding what you are considering trimming, I am hesitant to tell you whether there will be any oil passages in the way.

Any chance of posting a photo? Perhaps with a piece of tape or some Magic Marker scribbling on the material you plan on removing?

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
I think he is talking about the casting that I call the injection pump belt protector. It must be removed to install a 1600 W/P. Zero problem with removing it down to the original front cover. No oil passages in the way.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep - it is best called a belt protector. Sorry for the delay, I was out of town.

I will trim away.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts