Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
The 'Vette is nice, but they can keep that wagon. What's the point of a car that's ugly, unecessarily big, heavy, slow, and handles like a crippled elephant? I guess taste in an individual thing!

·
Super Moderator - Alfa Romeo Expert
16,232 Posts
You mean the 69 GTV without wipers?

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Can You Spot the Alfisti?

You mean the 69 GTV without wipers?
I concur, I spotted the GTV w/o wipers, looking at the roof line, headlight, and visible wheel; however, I could not have stated that it was a '69 let alone recognize the driver if that was the expectation.

Or are we supposed to know everyone that owns a red '69 Alfa GTV and where they were at the time the photo was taken? ;) I know Pat's red '69 GTV is still in Michigan owned by the guy he sold it to in 1979, but his name slips my mind at present; it may have been Dave Meyer.

·
16,232 Posts
Well, assuming a US version car, the round front side marker would make it 1969.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts

Well, assuming a US version car, the round front side marker would make it 1969.
Thanks, Jim. I'll add it to my list of identifying features of various Alfa models and years. As Pat would tell me things I would add them to my list. I needed the easy things, not things that I had to dig for under the hood once I learned the basic models and the "right out there" changes like for instance the "big noticeable" difference in telling a Kamm tail from a Duetto. Nothing like starting with the basics. ;)

·
16,232 Posts
To expand on the 1750/2000 GTV side markers a bit then;

Series 1 1750 US version - round markers, amber front, red rear
Series 1 1750 Euro version - no side markers
Series 2 1750 & 2000 US version - rectangular markers front and rear
Series 2 1750 & 2000 Euro version - round markers on front only

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hint....Alfisti are people!

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
Being that no-one in the picture appears to be paying any attention to the one Alfa, save for possibly the two guys in the Corvette, my guess is they are the Alfisti. Perhaps slumming or traveling undercover in some 'Merican Iron? ;)

Or where you referring the the photographer - who's sole purpose of the shot was the Alfa? :confused:

·
Registered
4,638 Posts

Papajam said:
To expand on the 1750/2000 GTV side markers a bit then;

Series 1 1750 US version - round markers, amber front, red rear
Series 1 1750 Euro version - no side markers
Series 2 1750 & 2000 US version - rectangular markers front and rear
Series 2 1750 & 2000 Euro version - round markers on front only
Jim:

Thanks for the additional markers to add to my list as far as identifying criteria. I will never be like Pat, who could pretty much walk up to a car and tell you what it was, who had owned it, and where it had been as well as pointed out to me more things than I'll remember over my lifetime in making a correct identification.

I'm just glad I no longer have to remember the difference that was measured between the windwings and door of the 59 Veloce Spider and the 61 Giulietta Spider by Pat and an infamous friend walking off the difference standing on the doors, starting up by the windwing. Could it have been the difference in wheelbase? Or was it something else?

Hint....Alfisti are people!

I noted that in my post with was the expectation to identify the driver of the Alfa you cannot see, not paying any attention to whether the original poster had used the correct form of Alfisti?

However, even if the Alfisti are in the Corvette, I don't know everyone in California that owns a Corvette or even every Alfisti in California that owns both a Corvette and an Alfa.

Or are we supposed to eliminate both the Alfa driver and the photographer and assume the correct form of Alfisti has been used which would make it plural or looking for more than one, but not necessarily in the same car so that would put everyone back in the picture?

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Shame on you, Cheryl, the passenger in the corvette is an old friend of Pat's who lived in Fullerton and helped with his book on Abarths. Been to the house several times and met you. ;)
The Corvette has been posted many times here on the BB and the driver is a well known So. Cal. Alfa/Zagato nut who needeed to experience a real '60's American sports car!

Good calls on the '69 GTV, althou everyone missed the real GTA mags on the car! :p

·
Registered
4,638 Posts

Shame on you, Cheryl, the passenger in the corvette is an old friend of Pat's who lived in Fullerton and helped with his book on Abarths. Been to the house several times and met you. ;)
The Corvette has been posted many times here on the BB and the driver is a well known So. Cal. Alfa/Zagato nut who needeed to experience a real '60's American sports car!

Good calls on the '69 GTV, althou everyone missed the real GTA mags on the car! :p
You've got me on the driver of the Corvette....obviously, posted on threads I haven't read, didn't pay attention to it if I read them, or before I joined the board. I honestly can't think of one person that was into Vette's and Zagatos. The only person that I can think of that fits the description of the passenger who lived in Fullerton and later moved to Orange with his wife; if I'm not mistaken they had two little girls and he had a yellow and red double bubble. I'm not going to post his name...his initials are rb. That would have been at the old house in Fullerton, though; we moved from there in 1988, over one city and I don't think he ever came to the new house.

Honestly, we've had so many people in and out of the houses, and I've been to so many Alfisti's houses that my brain gets cluttered and I don't have a fail safe way to keep them all straight.

I guess you have proof positive that I'm not good at recognizing people by the backs of their heads. When I get home I'll go read the acknowledgements in the Abarth book and see if that helps my memory any.

FTR, I didn't recognize Tom Tann after 25 years at this years AROC Convention; in all fairness, he didn't recognize me either so we were on level ground; we were anyway, in the parking lot. Another old Detroit friend of Pat's.

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't doubt your memory... his initials ARE RB !!
The Vette came when I sold the Abarths.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
So, do I win anything?? A '68 Giulia Super perhaps?:D:D

·
Registered
4,638 Posts

So, do I win anything?? A '68 Giulia Super perhaps?:D:D
O.k., Jeff, we've figured out who the passenger is...now who is driving the Corvette? And no, I'm not offering a prize let alone a '68 Giulia Super, you'll have to take that up with 101/105 guy.

I'm a little more than confused, which is nothing new....the message from 101/105 guy who I assumed to be the driver of the Corvette indicates that I'm right about rb but yet he states the vette came when he sold the Abarths and the Orange location matches where rb lives. So did the passenger actually post the inquiry?

Or are we looking for a Corvette driver that was into Alfa Zagatos and Abarths that sold his Abarths and bought a Corvette?

Are there more clues coming that I might recognize or that will make me look more foolish than ever?

·
Registered
6,892 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The winnah!!

OK, Jeff. You found us!
Now about the '68 Super.......
would you like it in 4x6 or wallet size? :D
Randy Bent (passenger) owns the 'vette
Mike Baum (driver) BBer, MBaum

Attachments

·
Registered
4,638 Posts

OK, Jeff. You found us!
Now about the '68 Super.......
would you like it in 4x6 or wallet size? :D
Randy Bent (passenger) owns the 'vette
Mike Baum (driver) BBer, MBaum
Congrats, Jeff....enjoy your new 68 Super....;)

As far as posting others names to the Internet because of privacy concerns I will not do it unless it is in reference to something they accomplished that is being written about and is otherwise documented and available or as needed as clarification to a procedural posting etc. So RB cannot blame me for that one.

As far as Baum, I'm sorry that name does not ring a bell even when joined with Michael. What sticks out in my mind concerning Baum is the author of "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" by L. Frank Baum. Michael, maybe our paths will cross at some point; if they do, introduce yourself.

...Thanks for the stroll down memory lane, even though I had to work for it.

·
Premium Member
2,078 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts