Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other post ($800 for a new set!) has me wondering if there is a way of heating or gluing the rubber mats back together without making them look entirely too hacked back together.

Has anyone done this by chance?

·
Premium Member
21,714 Posts
There's discussion of this on a recent thread in the Giulietta forum. Search for trunk mat or similar. Guy says his method works great.

Andrew

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
358 Posts
I have repaired all the cracks and splits of all the genuine rubber floor mats
by using synthetic rubber adhesive and a layer of material which is glued from the underside of the mats to keep the crack together.
I have tried a lot of materials and have concluded that the best material to use from the underside is rubber from tire tubes.
Best result is achieved if the tube material is stretched before application and kept stretched until it bonds. This way any "gaps" between the crack will be avoided.

·
Super Moderator
10,635 Posts
Jay suggested if all else fails you could make you own from this (or similar)McMaster-Carr
The home made mat works well for me. When the concours judges come around, I just place my book of photos in the center area where the Alfa logo is supposed to be. :001_smile:

In addition to costing much less, a new mat also has the advantage of being a lot more durable. If you have a glued-together, 48-year old mat, it sure as heck isn't going to survive a drive on a twisty road with a couple of suitcases and a picnic basket in the trunk.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great info guys.

Jay - did you use these for floor mats too? I am assuming you used the rubbermat?

I promise not to tell the judges to pick up the books :)

·
Super Moderator
10,635 Posts
Great info guys.

Jay - did you use these for floor mats too? I am assuming you used the rubbermat?
The original Alfa trunk mat matches a pattern that McMaster Carr calls "pebbled-top". Looks like:

While I got mine from McMaster Carr, I later saw it on rolls at Orchard Supply Hardware. McFadden Dale in Santa Ana is also likely to carry it.

By "floor mats" I assume you mean the interior floor - not the trunk floor. There I used carpet, which is what the factory supplied. Again, being a cheapskate, I used domestic, grey-flecked carpet, rather than something that is a 100.0% match to the original.

1960's Alfa spiders used rubber mats on the interior floors - those had more of a pyramid-shaped ribbing than the flat-topped ribbing shown in your photo above. Generic mat material with pyramid-shaped ribbing is available.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts