Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

Say, I have been trying to find some sort of historical record for Alfa's 1968 and 1969 race team. My Dad raced for alfa, primarily as a test driver. He did race in the 1968 Nurenburgring race. I have searched all over the Internet, and I can't find any pages that actually list driver's names. All I seem to find are references to the cars. There was a program on the Speed channel a few years back where I heard the announcer call him a "Diamond in the Ruff" :D. He has all of the pictures, and even one of him and the 'Great Bandini'. He said Bandini gave him some advice that he says is simple yet so very complex. Bandini told him, straightaways are for breaking and corners are for accelerating.

Anyway, is there any help that you guys can provide? I'm hoping that those of you in the community might have more resources to search. He (dad) raced for alfa for only a few short years before an accident caused him to break a few vertebrae in his back (he's not paralyzed, only he lost a lot of his reflexes).

Thanks for any help at all
Bob

·
Registered
758 Posts
Which Nurburgring race ? 500 k, 1000 k, gp der tourenwagen, hansapokal ?
Which car ?
Under which name did he race ?
If you provide us with more information, maybe we can help...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry, I was so excited about finding a forum like this that I got way ahead of myself :rolleyes:. I was mistaken, I double checked with him today and he said he ran group c and was backup for F1. He raced as Jim Albertson . Ran in several races in the backup car, but always DNF. As he said, they didn't say he was a great driver, but rather an all out driver. Of the F1 races he did get in, his DNFs ranged from tranny failure to blowing engines. He had a funny story about one of the engineers. The tranny engineer didn't speak very good English, and when he would try to tell dad what to do... dad couldn't understand. So the engineer got pretty angry (he said Italians do that easily), and told him with a heavy accent and loud voice... Jim (Geem was how they pronounced it) no bangity bangity bangity.

What I'm searching for is any sort of historical document that lists him with Alfa. I am wanting to find it so I can have a historical record of his career with alfa... albeit 67-70. Also, I am new to the car world. Unlike most car nuts, I didn't start to really fall for them until about 2 years ago. I'm 26 and wanting to learn all about them and all I can about my dad's career. This site is just amazing :)

Thanks
Bob

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
... Jim (Geem was how they pronounced it) no bangity bangity bangity. ...
Welcome to the BB, Bob!

It's so cool that your dad raced for Alfa. I guess that makes you one of the few who can say "I have Alfa in my blood". :) Please post some pictures. (Just note that there is a size limit depending on the file type, but it does allow for large photographs...) Really laughed at the "bangity" story!

Best regards,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Enrique

I'll definantly post some pictures :D. All of them are originals, so I'll have to take a picture of the picture LOL. He never has done anything with them, other than keeping them interspursed in a few picture albums. It may be this weekend before I get over to his house, but I'll try to get there before then.

Lastly, when I talked to him today he wanted me to find a picture and learn about a 1956 Guilietta (SP?) Sprint Speciale, and a Guila Veloce. He said he'd explain later, but his whole career with Alfa started with an all aluminum Guilietta he bought. It was some kind of rare car, and dad didn't know it... it was for sale cheap and it cornered like mad. Some guy from Alfa, dad didn't know at the time he was, started asking dad all sorts of questions about the car. Sorry, I'm just going on... I don't want to sound like some new people at forums that just run their mouth for the sake of seeming a big shot. I am just an average joe that is very interested in my dad's past, and am finding it very hard to find information about that era.

Bob

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Bob,

The aluminum Alfas were special back in the day, and they are very special and very expensive today. I'm sure you will find the forums of this BB that focus on these cars particularly interesting. There are plenty of pics on this BB, and I'm sure your dad's will be a real treat! (BTW, the spelling is "Giulietta".)

Best regards,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been parusing those forums, and you are definantly correct in that those forums are very, very interesting :D

Thank you for the welcome.
Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts