Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this single 10548 European cam at the junkyard, has some rust stain on its lobes but looks like mostly on the surface ( straight lines looking from the side).
Tried soaking it in vinegar to remove some of the rust but most of it require some sort of mechanical brushing or polishing.

What do you think is it worth the effort?
Plan to switch to carb soon and change my US emissions cams while im doing it.

Thx
Samuel

Wood Musical instrument Hardwood Wood stain Office supplies

Table Wood Tool Hardwood Wood stain

·
Administrator
'66 Sprint GT, '67 Duetto, '70 BMW 2800CS
12,762 Posts
I'd run Spica cams before I'd use that rusted 10548. It is likely to score your tappets. Yes, the rust is "mostly on the surface", but its roughness will cause damage. And even if you did polish it out, you would have also removed the surface hardening.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bummer, will keep searching.
Pocket Ace, I have Spica cams installed and I'm pretty sure the Bosch VVT type will not give a significant improvement which is why i was looking for the 10548.

·
Richard Jemison
8,577 Posts
Cams with rusted bearing surfaces are not usable as cores for cams being "reground" or "Hard welded"
Toy can`t use them as is or you will damage to cam followers and bearing caps/head.
The 10548-01 cam is in no way a performance cam. Just better than the cams sent to the USA (Spica) or earlier cams from smaller motors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts