Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently came across this Sprint, it’s missing an engine, transmission, hood. The frame is rotted, as is trunk & rear bumper. Before I commit to this project can it even be saved?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Shoot a photo of the serial numbers stamped into the firewall above the fresh air vent hole on the passenger side of the car.
How many other parts is it missing such as seat frames?

You really won’t know how much metal you’ll have to replace until it’s completely stripped, but it’s very daunting...unless it’s your particular trade. The for sale forum here listed under recent dates will give you an idea what parts may cost. Or online.

From someone who just took on such a project with a Giulietta Spider almost four years ago, unless it’s free, you’d be better off financially finding a finished one, or a driver quality with all the original parts, or a better candidate structurally depending on what your motivation to own an Alfa may be. Good luck. More pictures!

·
Registered
817 Posts
anything is saveable it depends if you want to do the work yourself, and if you enjoy a massive challenge, trunk floor and floor panels are available, at least some of the hard to find stainless trim is there.

·
Super Moderator
10,908 Posts
I've saw that car a month ago in Los Angeles and snapped a few pictures (my trip was purely recreational, I wasn't considering acquiring it). My assessment was that it would be an awfully big project - aside from the rust and accident damage, the missing parts will be a problem. If you goal is to have a running, driving Sprint, buying one in better shape will certainly save you time and money. Sad to see this one get scrapped, but at this point it's just a parts car (and not a very good one at that - not many salvageable parts left).

Here are some photos I took on June 20th (there were some hoods with it at that time):

Alfa Giuietta Sprint 06_12_2020 (4).JPG Alfa Giuietta Sprint 06_12_2020 (1).JPG Alfa Giuietta Sprint 06_12_2020 (2).JPG

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
I wouldn't buy it to restore but if the price is right ($500-$750) there are some good parts there that you could make some money on. Is the rear window included? It's shown on the car in Jay's last picture but not on yours.

·
Administrator
3,897 Posts
The short answer is anything is restorable, but is it economically viable ?? That's the conundrum & Sprints are incredibly complicated compared to Spiders.

That said this one has the unobtanium alloy trim around the doors which is 50% of a Sprint battle right there...of course the missing door cards with their long chrome C shaped trim will be a swine to source & ship

Ethan from someone who has 6 Sprints in their collection, unless you have good metalworking skills or are happy to restore this one to an Outlaw spec with 1750 engine, 5 speed box, bumperless front & rear, modern seats & non standard interior, you need to have a very good think about the costs vs time involved. This will be a long term project & if your goal is originality it will hoover up cash. If your goal is a fun Outlaw driver then this has definite possibilities.

I have a '57 that is in similar condition, I also have a well equipped workshop with plenty of tools, several different types of welding facilities and a full rotisserie at my disposal. Plus I have quite a few spares

It's an early '59 Normale, still has the Series I style open sills with the internal jack mounting points. This one originally had a rear seat accessory - quite a rare item, one of the arm rests is still visible

The Good --> Door trim (very good), still has 3 of the dash knobs, the dash hasn't been hacked up, chrome dash trim is there, dash cap, the alloy trim around the front screen is there, the alloy trim around the rear windows are there, looks like a spare diff, there's brake drums & wheels, parcel tray even if it has a large speaker hole in it. Doors & trunk lid are there & one picture shows 3 different hoods ?? Has a steering column, the wiring harness is there & so are 2 of the little harness escutcheons. Data tags are there - those are always nice to have. The firewall hasn't been hacked about, the heater box bolts are there so chances are the heater is still there. I see the driver's window glass slide at least.

The Bad --> The trunk and rear valance are rotted out as are the floors, missing external sill trim & door card internal trim is painful to source for Sprints. The nose has taken a thump, but that's no real biggie. You need a heart & side grilles, they crop up from time to time, I have a spare glove box lid, the fuel tank filler flap inside the trunk is also difficult to find. Bumpers will be spendy

The Ugly --> It will consume lots of time & money.

It's the balance between buying a restored one or rebuilding one slowly so that the $$ hit isn't all at once

Your call

Ciao
Greig

·
Administrator
3,897 Posts
Do I see half of a set of Veloce headers in the first photo?
Tom that's the 2 into 1 down pipe of the standard Normale system which bolts onto the 4 into 2 cast iron exhaust headers, it's just pulled right forward so is misleading & does resemble 1 piece of the Veloce headers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here all all the photos, I’m still on the fence. Someone clearly put a new rear end on with springs. The current owner said the back glass broke when the tow truck dropped it off (sounds like a lie) & it never came with a hood (proven lie thanks to this forum) it still sits outside uncovered and continues to rot. Several people offered $1000 to cut out the vin & another $1000 for the emblems, would probably park it in a garage until I could source parts. Is it hard to find a complete engine for 59?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Engine and gearbox is not a big worry. Some are still being thrown out. Trim is the problem.

If you can beat sheetmetal and weld yourself, maybe, just maybe, it would be a start for a racing project? You would avoid much of the trim issues. But $1000 is an absolute max.

Except...still nobody has noticed the steering wheel?

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Right, the back window and hoods were in the pictures that Jay posted so most likely sold to someone.
You can find a 59 motor ($2-$5K depending on condition) but you could also drop a 1600, 1750 or even 2L in there. 1961 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Project
The good: it's a 750 series with most of the aluminum trim intact. Of course, the rear window trim is AWOL now. Back seat is a plus. Wheels look good, rear end is a plus.
The bad: missing front seats, front and rear glass, door panels and associated trim, bumpers, rear airplane, trunk hinges, grills, door handles, locks, glove box door, window winders, inner door handles and who knows what else. You will spend a fortune on the rust repair and another fortune on the missing parts. You would most likely never break even on it unless you bought it for parts at a reasonable price and parted it out. That's where the real money is these days.

·
Super Moderator
10,908 Posts
The current owner said the back glass broke when the tow truck dropped it off (sounds like a lie) & it never came with a hood (proven lie thanks to this forum) it still sits outside uncovered and continues to rot.
The story about the back window might be true. As I recall, it was present but just resting on the back cut-out; e.g., it wasn't properly installed. So maybe they moved the car without securing it, and when it was coming down the ramp from the truck it fell off. Or as 6alfas said, since those rear windows are NLA, someone may have made a quick buck with it.

And who knows what happened to the hoods I saw in mid-June, or how many hands this thing has passed through since then. The current owner may well have gotten it after the hoods were sold off.

Incidently, I heard about this car in mid-May when someone sent an email to the Southern California Alfa Club (of which I'm an officer) to the effect of: "I am trying to clean up a property that has a '59 Alfa Sprint parked on it. What should I do?".

Honestly, if you insist on buying that thing, plan on buying another '59 Sprint with a less-rusted, less accident damaged body. It will be a lot cheaper to acquire all the missing bits as part of an assembled car than trying to locate them individually.

Reactions: Ethan2369

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Engine and gearbox is not a big worry. Some are still being thrown out. Trim is the problem.

If you can beat sheetmetal and weld yourself, maybe, just maybe, it would be a start for a racing project? You would avoid much of the trim issues. But $1000 is an absolute max.

Except...still nobody has noticed the steering wheel?
Yes, saw the steering wheel. Missing the horn button and needs restoring.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts