Alfa Romeo Forums banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts
How about cracking the bell housing using the starter method to break the crank nut loose? Is that a possibility or a one in a million shot?
No, it didn't break mine, possible? Yes. One in a million shot? I don't know, don't care to try it a million times. Bad things do happen when you don't expect it though.

Attachments

Discussion starter · #42 ·
It'll just not turn, though the starter will be putting a lot of torque on it so it's unlikely to 'stall' it. (for a loose example, the starter motor puts out enough torque to push the car down the road while it's in gear and the engine isn't running....)

Presuming of course that your starter is in good shape with a decently operating bendix gear and your flywheel teeth aren't all chipped up of course.
Thanks, Tif. Some encouragement......Rather have it stall than break.

Discussion starter · #43 ·
I suppose that is possible, but hasn't ever happened to me in a desparate situation. Do what you have to do to get it done. To answer your question with a pic from our PMs, this is what happened to me 3X already within a year.... Mostly just cracks happen from what I've heard from other Alfa owners, apparantly, I just have a really fast reving engine that likes to snap the crank pulley like twigs:D
Man, DD, scaaaaary looking! Hope that is just a freak thing.....Hows stuff like that happen?

(well the pic did not come through.....but you know what I mean)

Discussion starter · #44 ·
Put it in 5th gear, block the tires, set the parking brake, use a breaker bar and a fence post (8 foot overall length), if that fails, hold the fence post in your hand have someone QUICKLY turn the key to start-that will break the stubborn nut for sure! That is EXACTLY what I had to do.
All right, DD, Im getting ready to remove crank nut next wk, when my son brings the alfa home from college, got my tools ready, borrowed a 4' long 3/4" drive ratchet, and one little technicality:

Ive been told to put the car in 5th gear, NOT 1st gear. This is so the car can have maximum resistance to moving . But shouldn't it be the opposite, or 1st?? Cuz, the very much used habit of placing a car in 1st gear when parked maintains exactly that the car will have the most resistance to move, I understand. Which is it now? 1st or 5th??

C'mon, lets have a brisk debate on this, hehe, Ive seen it before on this forum, and in the past, quite hotly debated, but we will keep it civil.....right?

All right, DD, Im getting ready to remove crank nut next wk, when my son brings the alfa home from college, got my tools ready, borrowed a 4' long 3/4" drive ratchet, and one little technicality:

Ive been told to put the car in 5th gear, NOT 1st gear. This is so the car can have maximum resistance to moving . But shouldn't it be the opposite, or 1st?? Cuz, the very much used habit of placing a car in 1st gear when parked maintains exactly that the car will have the most resistance to move, I understand. Which is it now? 1st or 5th??

C'mon, lets have a brisk debate on this, hehe, Ive seen it before on this forum, and in the past, quite hotly debated, but we will keep it civil.....right?
Eric did nail that one for you. It is about torque multiplication, you are applying torque at the engine to remove the nut, not at the tires as though you were parking on a hill. Your engine needs LOTS of torque to take off in 5th gear without stalling (Even 4th gear, but 5th is better for the job-I know-if you remember this summer my shift fork bolt came out and I had to drive my car home stuck in 4th gear-even on the back streets from stops signs going uphill!!!!).

I had to drive my car home stuck in 4th gear-even on the back streets from stops signs going uphill!!!!
...... barefoot in twenty feet of snow under the blazing sun with nothing to eat for 6 days but my leather belt and a wife-beater t-shirt to protect me while the wolves and bears circled around just waiting for me to stop long enough for them to pounce.....

Sorry, couldn't resist :D

...... barefoot in twenty feet of snow under the blazing sun with nothing to eat for 6 days but my leather belt and a wife-beater t-shirt to protect me while the wolves and bears circled around just waiting for me to stop long enough for them to pounce.....

Sorry, couldn't resist :D
No, it was uphill both ways in feet of snow with wolves and polar bears waiting to pounce, but my wife who beats me, killed them, leaving me their entrails to wear as belt and as dessert:eek:

41 - 49 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.