Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think its the same as my '69, which is 101.1 in (2570 mm ).

Reason to ask is that there is a well known alignment shop here that says the database on their alignment machine only goes as far back as the '72 spider, and that the machine needs the chassis dimensions (at least wheelbase ) to do the math.

I've never had an alignment shop ask this before, nor have I ever seen them measure anything on the car to enter into the machine's computer. :confused:

Anyone ?

Cheers,

Jeff

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 86Spider,

Turns out you have uncovered an error in Alfa's original documentation !

I had gotten the 101" number from the Alfa document titled "Technical Characteristics and Principal Inspection Specifications" for the "1969 USA Fuel Injection Model", that was on my CarDisc International CD ROM. Its just a scan of the original paper document so the error must have been there all along. Sure enough, it says 101.1 in. However, the "Owner's Manual", both from the CarDisc and my old paper one say 88.6 " just like your database.
When I just went out to measure the car, I got the 88.6 in. number.

Not good since the "Tech Characteristics" document is where stuff like the torque tightening specs, alignment specs, etc. come from. I wonder how many other typos might be there.....:eek:

Thanks again !

Jeff

·
Premium Member
16,232 Posts
Turns out you have uncovered an error in Alfa's original documentation !
I wonder how many other typos might be there.....:eek:
Nothing to worry about. One might consider it an omission rather than an error. The USA version Tech Specs manual lists only the 101.1" wheelbase for the Berlina. The Spider (88.6") and GTV (92.5") wheelbases are listed in the Euro version Tech Specs manual.

EDIT: slight correction on the above. Having a chance to actually look at the 1750 USA version specs manual #1502, only the Berlina wheelbase is listed on the principal characteristics page. However, the contents page lists the Spider and GTV variants on page 27 where the wheelbases for these models are indeed listed.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Papajam, you are right...!

In mine, the main table up front on page 1 just is called "Principal Characteristic Data" and doesn't mention any model at all. Guess I thought they were the same. Then, on pg. 27, as you point out, there is another small table listing the GTV and Spider "variants". I have never noticed that table.

mystery solved, I would say. Thanx all.

Cheers,
Jeff

1 - 5 of 5 Posts