Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

So earlier today I was driving my Alfa, it's only my second day driving it and I noticed it started making a squealing sound from the engine bay when I was in gear (video above is of the sound although its actually a higher pitch in reality).

When I push the clutch in, the sound goes away, when the car is in neutral the sound also goes away. But, if the car is in neutral and i press the gas like in the video above then you can hear the sound. if I am in gear driving you can also hear the sound.

I figured it was the belt, but when I parked the car and turned it off the "GENERAT" warning light stayed on. Then I tried to start the car and I couldn't start it. Everything worked and sounded like it should but I couldn't get car to start. Gonna try again tomorrow but for now had to disconnect the battery cuz the warning light just stayed on after i turned off the car.

BUT, the left indicator light also stopped working 15 minutes earlier. It doesn't flash inside the car when i turn the indicator left but, the side indicator and the rear indicator work when i do turn the indicator left but the front doesn't.

Because so many different things happened all in one drive I can't tell if they're all connected or have nothing to do with each other.

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
Fan is busted! Put in an electric one. Those plastic ones can cause a lot of damage if not fixed. You can see it moving. Don't drive it until repaired.

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
FAN

looks like the 5 (or is it 6) bolts on the fan are loose== its moving in and out! Fact Alfasrule has it 1000%correct. My fan busted itself up at 70 mph onthe freeway. Punched a hole in the radiator, dented the hood, what a mess! I think I am due for an electric fan ......

Alfasrule ; any particular setup you like? I'd like one (I think) with adjustable speed (maybe from drivers seat) as I live in san diego and it gets hot here with lots of stop and go

·
Premium Member
2,601 Posts
Use a electric fan sold by all da vendors ~12 inches. Mount her in the front of the radiator. On the new one's radiators there is a place to mount a temperature sensor to set the fan off. Just hook it up to the main 12V with a relay. Way to go, did this on many ALFA's. That plastic stuff is junk and if you wish to keep her original, best of Luck.

Peace
Alfasrule

P.S. Just because ALFA Romeo made it doesn't mean it's perfect?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, I'll double check the fan. I actually do have an electric one mounted in front of the radiator as well. I had the place I bought the car from mount it for me. I'll see if I can sort the fan issue out and maybe order a new one online. thanks guys!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok quick update, before i left to work this morning i checked if there was any movement with the fan but seems like it's bolted on tight with no movement at all. The movement in the video could be because the whole engine was slightly moving when i was stepping on the gas.

But i did notice the belt seemed a bit loose, I'm assuming it should be a tighter fit so tonight will try and fix that and see if that sorts out the issue (and if i can get my car to start as well)

·
Registered
718 Posts
I think either fan belt needs tightening or alternator has bush failing

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think either fan belt needs tightening or alternator has bush failing
I'm thinking its the alternator. Managed to start my car now and the reason I think it's the alternator is because:

1) when the car is off and the ignition switch removed the GENERAT warning light stays on
2) I just started the car now (Video below) and it looked like there was a bit of smoke coming out from near where the alternator is. Kinda like the insides of it are scraping metal on metal

I sent video to my mechanic he said it also could be the water pump. So gonna just have him come by me tomorrow and check it out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry if this is annoying fyi just don't know who else I could share this with :D

So checked all the pullies and none seem wobbly or anything so figured maybe it's the belt. So i turned car on and started pouring water on the belt and when i do that the sound goes. So now I think the belt might be worn or just too loose.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Gents....
Easy check would be to slacken the alternator, remove the belt and start the car let it run (under a minute) and see if you get any noise, other than the alternator. Kind of like process of elimination. If engine runs without noises, your most likely dealing with bad alternator bushings.
While the belt is off you can spin alternator pulley to check for noises/play from it aswell as spinning and check of the waterpump fan for noises or play.

·
Registered
506 Posts
The scratchy sound is more than likely a water pump bearing or an alternator bearing. The water is lubricating the problem bearing each time you pour water over it. As mentioned earlier remove the belt and turn by hand the 2 components and feel for any resistance or noise as they turn. When reinstalling the belt be careful not to overtighten it as that can lead to early bearing failure because of the sideload from the belt.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Mark,
Is the air box a bad thing?
Incorrect airbox for that particular model maybe, but not “bad”...it’s off a very similar car and it will work just fine.
If you want the car absolutely correct, chase a ‘correct’ one down, but you already have a car which has deviated from ‘standard’ already (electric fan, black cam cover). Your choice.
If you need to try the water test into the future for a fan belt noise, just spray a little on it. As described above, drowning it may well be hiding another problem.
A simple test for a bad alternator or water pump bearing can be done by putting the tip of a long screwdriver to the body of the alternator, and the screwdriver handle to your ear. Any noise will be amplified and you will quickly identify which one is making the noise.
Be CAREFUL to keep clear of moving parts. But try it...it works very well for tracking down noises.
Your mechanic will quickly figure it out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Final update!

Turns out it was the fan belt. Swapped it out for a new one and its back to being super silent!

thanks everyone for the tips!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts