Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Glad I found this website! I purchase a 1986 Spider a few weeks. They said the car ran fine till one day it just stop running. They put it in the garage where it stayed for 4 years. Since I got it I changed the oil,new plugs, New fuel pump ( Not the tank pump the other one ) And the fuel relay. ( That's what the owner thought the problem was ) What I have is a car with fuel getting to the injectors. ( I confirmed that by loosing the fuel hose that goes to the fuel rails after I tried to start it and gas came out real fast) That was not a good idea! I think maybe I screwed up the spark plug wiring. If Im looking at the motor from the drivers side is the Plug closest to the water pump number One? Where would that be on the cap? I don't know it this means anything but no fuel comes out of the fuel pressure regulator. I checked that by taken that hose off. Seeing nothing there I thought there was no pressure in the system. Then I went to the other hose. Is there something I should check/replace that sends the spark to the plug? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
612 Posts
no fuel getting out of fuel fail ? sounds like low fuel pressure.
firing order 1-3-4-2
check a rotor and a cap usually they look bad after 20 years
go to radioshack and get an electric contact cleaner
also good idea is to check all air hoses for air leaks
(if your in-tank fuel pump is dead its restricting fuel flow so that may be a cause for low pressure and then it may kill your fuel pump underneath a car)
Im suggesting to do a signature so when you are postin people know where you are from and somebody may even dro by and check it ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It Started !! However

Wow, After I jumped it with a full size battery and hit the fuel pressure reg with a hammer it fired up. The alternator light is on and just a small amount of the green fuel light. I'm going to get a new alternator and see where that goes.

·
Registered
612 Posts
check negative ground connection from battery -> body

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Sd455-

Welcome to the board.

Please use the search feature. There are several postings regarding the dreaded Alt Light glowing, air leaks, electrical gremlins, using synthetic vs. petroleum, platinum vs. Lodge, big trouble in little virginia, etc. You'll find using the search feature will give you tons of information regarding the quirks the Alfa Romeo has, and that many are common to these cars. Get used to being under the hood for a while, and you'll learn to love driving the car, especially once you compare what you paid for the car vs. any other exotic car you compare it to.

Duke

·
Registered
163 Posts
Welcome, and keep that hammer handy you'll need it for a while. After the bugs get "hammered out", you will be happy with how tough these cars really are. Cheers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts