Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Can someone confirm torque spec on gearbox guibo yoke?

3K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  crackie 
#1 ·
I have an older non-moly synchro 105 gearbox. I have manuals that say the torque on the nut on the guibo yoke should be 86 ft/lb. I other manuals (Intereuope and Autobook) say 56 ft/lb. Can anyone confirm which spec is correct? Did Alfa change the spec at some point?

Picture of part in question below. Thanks.

See less See more
#2 ·
Guess it is a mystery. Seems most modern documentation says 86 ft/lb, so guess I will go with that.

#4 ·
I reread all 3 manuals I have. I stand corrected, the Intereurope one does say that. The other two don't. But if it works for you, it'll work for me...experience beats a manual.

Thanks for the confirmation!

Reactions: Tom Frasca
#5 ·
I got out the factory manual out and on page 92 the book says to torque the final setting to 12 kgm/86 ft. lb.

However, I stand corrected as I misread what it said further up the page about the 57 lb.
That is for the nuts on the "counter-shaft"
The only thing I can say is that was before I got my new reading glasses. Time out in the corner for me.

#6 ·
Yeah - if you're talking about the 1989 Spider Factory Manual (which is what I have), yeah I saw the same thing about the countershaft. I had the read it 3 times to really get the differentiation vs. the giubo yoke nut as well, so not just you. Says same in the old Giulia factory manual as well.

But here is what I read in the Intereurope:
Text Font Document Paper

And then later in the chapter:

Text Font Document

My Autobook manual sort of indicates the same, but buries the info in the "tech data" appendix, so it is not obvious when you read it.

Both of these manuals are appropriate for the year of my gearbox (old style, non-moly from the 60s). So think this is good.

Attachments

#8 ·
I guess if you use the same nut that came off, you could use the air gun to tighten the end to where it was previously staked.

What I don't understand is noting the drive flange reference mark on disassembly, when reassembling. That should not make a difference or can someone care to wade in on this?

#9 ·
Yeah - I saw that as well and sort of ignored it (perhaps at my own peril) given that I have never seen anyone mention that on a build thread. I received mine in pieces, so marking it wasn't even an option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.