Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I am having quite a bit of trouble removing the driver side mirror and the passenger side mirror on my 1978 Spider. The issue is that when we try to loosen the 2 screws holding it in, it just spins, and spins, and spins, and spins some more. We think that whatever is insert or nut the screw is threaded into is spinning with the screw now. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the mirrors? Do we have to take apart the door to to get to the mirror? If we do (I really hope not...) how would we go about doing this? I can not seem to find the instructions in the maintenance manual. THANKS!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Unfortunately yes you have to remove the inside door panel and all that holds it in place.
Make sure the window is in the up position and have someone help you to turn the screw while you hold the backing plate. The screw will more than likely break due to rust over the years. If this is an after market item and rivnuts were used you will have to access the back of the rivnut and lock it in place with vice grips while you carefully drill the head off and everything falls to the bottom of the door.its a job ,take your time.Uwe's Alfa Spider Restoration

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
Have you tried lifting up on the mirror perpendicular to the screw as you unscrew the screw? If that doesn't work go directly to drilling of the screw heads. Then you will want to remove the door panel to retrieve the screw keeper bar; but you won't waste as much of your time and someone else's as the screw head distorts while someone tries to hold the keeper and you try to free the rusted/catawampus screws and keepers with a screwdriver.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Have you tried lifting up on the mirror perpendicular to the screw as you unscrew the screw? If that doesn't work go directly to drilling of the screw heads. Then you will want to remove the door panel to retrieve the screw keeper bar; but you won't waste as much of your time and someone else's as the screw head distorts while someone tries to hold the keeper and you try to free the rusted/catawampus screws and keepers with a screwdriver.
CATAWAMPUS
Thanks for the new word. I had to look that one up.

·
Registered
705 Posts
CATAWAMPUS
Thanks for the new word. I had to look that one up.
Dag! I always though it was cattywumpus.

Looks like there are lots of acceptable spellings, so we can coexist peacefully..

From wiki:
catawamptious; catawampous; cattywampus; cattywampous; caliwampus; caliwampous; cankywampus; kittywampus; gittywampus; skiwampus

1 - 5 of 5 Posts