Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm moving to Europe (NL) in 2012, and I'm wondering if I can take my '71 Spider with me. I can't leave it behind, and I don't want to sell (it was over $25K for a complete restoration, and it's only worth...less).

Anyone have any experience or links to share?

Shipping is easy - less than $1500 door to door - it's the customs and import regulations I'm ignorant of.

THX

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I'd do an internet search first, then contact the Dutch embassy or consulate close to you. Also, many shippers/brokers should have that information, or at least know exactly who to call for it. Try contacting a Dutch customs broker.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Taking an Alfa back to Europe

It's not that hard. Check out this blog by a member of the Delta Sierra Alfa Romeo Club who just took his 1969 Alfa Spider back to Europe for his vacation drive around Europe: "girodelalfa.wordpress.com" It was shipped from California to the Netherlands last month and he has just reached Italy with it. The Dutch customs people:cool: gave him a hassle becasue he had no firm date for his return, so they wanted him to pay customs duties for importing the car until he talked them out of it. Also, either the shipper's or the people working at the docks stole the California license plates off the car; and he made the mistake of not replacing his car's battery before he left. He had to pay an exhorbitant price for a new battery over there. But is certainly sounds like it is worth the effort.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I sold my GTV6 to a guy who lives in Greece, since it was an 84 he had to store it at a friends house in California for over a year so it aged enough to to avoid certain import taxes. Since your is older this may not prove an issue but you will pay something to the dutch government, it's just a matter of how much.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts