Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To save my back, I am trying to set the gap on my rebuilt SPICA out of the car as shown in the pic. I am able to get a pretty constant temp from 173 - 175 F with this $7 hot plate from Wal Mart,,,:D I thought I had the gap set with the dummy TA, but with both it and the TA at 29 mm, the gap is a little different depending on which one is on the pump...

Any reason why this won't work ??

Also, I loose a thou or two just by exercising the lever arm after a change. Is that normal ?

Cheers,

Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Yes, that will work, but it's about the hardest way to do it that I've seen. As long as the TA tests to spec, using a dummy TA is fine. We're not talking about SUPER critical adjustment here. If the TA is good and you set the gap at spec, the engine is going to further heat up to 190F or so and the pump gap will go to zero most likely. That's ok. The final adjustment is setting the length of the long rod with it connected to the throttle arm so the gap is .019" with the engine fully warmed up.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John,

This is the first time I've done this and thought I needed to be within a thousandth or so.
Next time, I'll just use the TA and put it in.

Cheers
Jeff

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
Get it as close as you can. Once you're satisfied your T/A is still in spec extension, you can use a dummy TA to set the gap more easily. If you use the real TA, you have to act a little faster since if you warm the engine coolant to 175F, then shut the engine off to set the gap, the coolant cools off fairly quickly.

Setting the pump gap at 175F ensures that the TA is completely disengaged at running temperature (normally 195F) where the pump gap will probably go to zero. You reset the pump gap to .019" by adjusting the long rod with the engine at full operating temp.

.019" is the point on the 3D cam where the fuel delivery starts to increase. The fuel delivery at gaps less than .019" is flat. When you depress the accelerator pedal, you want fuel delivery to start increasing instead of having to go through some pedal travel with no increased fuel delivery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts