Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Berlina 74 GTV 17 Giulia Q4
6,471 Posts
I would think there would be other apparent issues in addition to the headgasket.

·
Registered
4,874 Posts
Yeah
It's possible.
more likely head itself, liner shift, improper head nut torque, yielded head studs, poor head gaskets... or all of that plus a warped block! You'll have to check things until you find the culprit.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I saw your head gasket post, now when it's apart use a straight edge to check the block and the head. 8 years is a long time to have the same problem. Use the Reinz gasket, I've never had one blow unless the car overheated for another reason.

·
Super Moderator
11,572 Posts
The last warped block I fixed was a 1300 101 Normale. The head had 2 burned exhaust valves, one with almost 1/4 burned away. Head was warped, and when removed, the crank wouldn't turn. After a complete tear down, the block was as bad as the head, warped in the same direction with #3 main bearing high.
This was my first of several experiences with hydraulic straightening of warped Afa heads. Same shop that did the head, tackled the block, and got it straight enough that the crank, with new bearings, spun easily. The whole engine was reworked into a 101 1300 Veloce race engine, and still is running today, some 20 years later.
Hydraulic aluminum head straightening avoids all the problems of cam bind in warped MILLED heads. I was amazed a block could be straightened in a similar manner.
My opinion from my experience.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The last warped block I fixed was a 1300 101 Normale. The head had 2 burned exhaust valves, one with almost 1/4 burned away. Head was warped, and when removed, the crank wouldn't turn. After a complete tear down, the block was as bad as the head, warped in the same direction with #3 main bearing high.
This was my first of several experiences with hydraulic straightening of warped Afa heads. Same shop that did the head, tackled the block, and got it straight enough that the crank, with new bearings, spun easily. The whole engine was reworked into a 101 1300 Veloce race engine, and still is running today, some 20 years later.
Hydraulic aluminum head straightening avoids all the problems of cam bind in warped MILLED heads. I was amazed a block could be straightened in a similar manner.
My opinion from my experience.
Hi Gordon, I am looking for a shop to straighten a warped aluminum head from a Triumph Stag V8...so far everyone have contacted has declined due to the fact that the stud holes are not parallel to each other or perpendicular to the head. Does your hydraulic straightening shop require parallel stud holes to do this?

·
Super Moderator
11,572 Posts
I would imagine that unless the head has been milled flat from it's warped condition, putting the holes on all different axisis, it could be easily hydraulically pressed flat.
Contact me by PM with your e-mail address and I'll give you information on the shop I use and you can contact them directly.
In short, if the head has not been "ruined" by a previous milling-flat attempt, hydraulic flattining should be just like any other aluminum head.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts