1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents
Can any one shed light on this one.
2 litre twin spark motor
Manual says: Set No1 cylinder at TDC & align the crank pulley marks.
The cams should then line up to the cutouts or scribe marks on the camshaft caps.

Problem: The crank pulley mark is the firing point which is different from TDC.
Which point should I line the cams up to? TDC or the firing point?
Regards to all C Mct

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes std water pump for the twin spark. the crank pulley is marked for ignition timing not cam timing. I will use a DTI to ensure TDC.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi! I am in process of doing the same thing - need to put all the marks together after valve stem seal replacement, the car is Alfa 164 2.0 TSpark.
Just like you I also could not find and TDC mark on the crank, that only mark which is on the crank belt dish seems to be ignition check-mark, because it does not line up with anything when I position the 1st cylinder at TDC by grandfathers screwdriver-through-the-plug-hole method. Also I am still wondering why one needs that mark if the timig is not adjustable by any means, at least I could not see how.
Anyway, I did pull the engine together by setting the TDC by grandfathers method and aligned the cam marks though they are off for some half millimeter each.. I know that exhaust cam spocket can be adjusted preciselly but I dont know how to adjust the cam with VVT. Started the engine but the idle is not smooth, it misfired terribly.. I found that one of the ignition distributors were shot and replaced it but it still the same - terrible iddle.
Could be that those cams are ment to be lined when crank is NOT at the TDC but at some angle, at the ignition advance mark?

-Nils

·
Registered
150 Posts
where is that ignition timing mark :eek: crank puley have only TDC mark ... usualy thsi mark is very hard to see . TS puley have 60-2 teeth and motronic control ignition timing .... at TDC 1 cyl crank sensor is around 66 degrees after 2missing teeth gap !

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
There should be a faint line on the side of the teethed ring.
Sounds strange that your pulley have marks for ignition timing though, never seen that on a TS pulley. Someone changed it to work with a 105 water pump and aftermarket ignition and carbs?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
I assumed that this single faint line on side of the belt dish is some kind of a timing mark because it does not line up with anything around the area when I set the first cylinder to TDC by screwdriver method. Well, it is pointing somewhat straight to the watter pump but in my opinion its less precise than I can set it by screwdriver.
Problem is that I do not have repair manual for the 2.0 TSpark engine with chain. I have located some other manuals of TSparks wich are belt-driven and obviously I can not follow procedure of setting TDC outlined there. Could somebody write a brief of the official procedure?
Problem is that I double checked everything, I took engine cover off 3 times to see that really everything lines up at TDC but still engine has very poor idle. So I assumed that there is something tricky. Well, actually the cams are not EXACTLY lined up with the respective markings on caps, the exhaust cam is 0.5mm early and intake is 1mm late, which only could contribute to better idle. Maybe I should do a compression test? Who knows. I will..

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
well it should line up with the pointer on the water pump, assuming you have a TS water pump. The pointer on the TS is actually different and will foul a regular 2.0 carb pulley for instance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I believe the waterpump is stock one. But it is far away from the belt dish. I will align ruler from crank center and match it with the TDC mark and waterpump. On waterpump there is a square lug casted on it probably designed to ease separation, it is pointing to the crankshaft, I will use that one as a mark because there is nothing else on the pump either.

I am just wondering why they did not grind a simple mark on the block at the factory since it costs nothing anyway..

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tjere is a pointer on the earlier TS water pumps, the faint line is ignition & TDC is approximately one tooth after it. Use a screwdiver or better still a TDI dial indicator down the plug hole.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Here's a pic of my engine, the pointer is fairly obvious and not far away from the toothed wheel. If theis isn't what your setup looks like odds are your pump isn't for a TS engine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts