Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,037 Posts
Bumping back this thread: Put a new cam cover and gasket on my Spider this weekend to seal up a pesky leak, etc. I've read up on this cam cover washer discussion as it evolved over the past two decades. So far I have read that these aluminum washers replacing some of the red fiber washers served three purposes depending on the year, with later Alfa Service Bulletins recently posted to back it up. Feel free to correct any of this if necessary, please. I'd like to leave some decent facts for these without misinformation.

Above, per papajam's fantastic past expertise and patience during his life, he explained the electrical (ground) reason behind it. Makes sense. Wonder when and how Alfa figured that out?

The other two reasons for the aluminum washers were: 1.) The 750/101 cam covers without the front two small bolt hold downs developed on later Alfas were suggested to receive them on the front to seal oil drips there ( I had that problem after a rebuild that had sat too long.) 2.) Two aluminum washers at the rear two locations to help seal up over any possible leaky half moon seals. That washer application area carried on through the years at the rear only, it appears. Cold torque on the cam nuts were to be 11-14ft ft.lbs tops, drive the car until warmed up, then gently torque again. They DO loosen up a bit after a warm drive.

My question is who sells these correct aluminum washers? They are about 25mm outer diameter x 12mm inner. The fiber washers are about 2.7mm thick. Not sure what the stock aluminum ones were. Does anyone know any stats on these? Belmetrics doesn't have anything close.

· Registered
1,037 Posts
Greig,
I just found this response in my email’s spam filter. 30 such Alfa-related emails! Ugh.

Anyway, Interesting methods for the cam cover. I will have to try that inside sealer application after letting the gasket dry flat with weight on it overnight. Makes perfect sense.
In the meantime I got my extra cam cover returned powder coated in a black crinkle which I had bought a few years back from Andrew. Pics below. I applied grey Permatex in a thin coat on the cam cover, fixed the gasket, then applied another thin coat along the complete cleaned-and-dry surface of the head for it. I drop the cover on the head wet, barely finger tightening each cam nut just to get it evenly flat. I let it dry overnight so as not to squish out any sealer. The next afternoon I tighten it to about 13 ft lbs for each nut in a cris cross pattern. So far, no leaks from it after a warm run and re-tightening of each cam nut.

Fyi, I secured 4 Alfa aluminum washers for those cam nuts. I haven’t installed them yet. The posting by someone recently (Thierry?) of an Alfa service bulletin around ‘64 stating aluminum washers on the front of Giuliettas to help with leaks there (before later small bolt-type cam covers came out) had me scratching my head because everyone else suggested the rear two. Both areas make sense though. Do you use yours for the electrical grounding theory, or the better tightening of the half moons…or both?

Dave

Attachments

· Registered
1,037 Posts
Makes sense. Thanks. No leaks there anymore. I have a lower leak I’m trying to trace, but winter weather has slowly set in here. My rented storage garage does not have heat, so I no at have to scramble a bit faster in there to accomplish the things I want to do. Still have to drop my differential out. Have a great holiday season.
Dave

· Registered
1,037 Posts
I need to get it up on jack stands and crawl under there. It’s not a lot, but It’s not coming from the front. I think it might be my oil pressure gauge line fitting at the block. Not sure. That or the sump somewhere. Initially I thought it was the half moons, but not now. My local shop told me when he had it on the lift for my alignment that it seems to drip from higher up and mostly when it sits instead of when it’s running. It drove him nuts, like me. He put dye in to trace it, but we never did find the exact spot.

Tropical climate….I grew up here in Ohio until I was an 8-years-old, then we lived in Southern California through high school. Miss it every winter. Don’t miss the crime and the crowds though.
Cheers,
Dave

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.