Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had someone else adjust the valves on my 1600 engine after the head was rebuilt. As there are some excessive clearances 2000 miles later, I thought I'd try again. Unfortunately I noticed that the bearing caps, which are numbered sequentially, were randomly placed (although two with timing marks were at the front). Can someone please tell me the sequence in which they should be installed? I'd be grateful!

·
Registered
408 Posts
Intake side rear bearing cap is #1, intake side middle cap is #2, intake side front cap is #3. Exhaust side rear is #4, exhaust side middle is #5, and the exhaust side front cap is #6. There should be corresponding numerical stamps on the head surface adjacent to each cap, in the area where the cam cover gasket sets.

Vern in Oregon

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah thanks, Vern. At least the front two were right, so the valve train hasn't been out of time.

·
Trained (ex)Professional, , 1953-2018 RIP,
16,232 Posts
Unfortunately, the front caps are reversed so the cam timing is off.
The cap numbering is 1, 2, 3, front to rear on the exhaust side. There should be the number '1' stamped into the cam cover gasket surface next to the front cap on the exhaust side. On the intake side, the caps are number 4, 5, 6 rear to front.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yikes! Scared me to death, papajam. Pulled the cover, and on mine the head is numbered 4,5,6 rear to front exhaust and 1,2,3 rear to front intake, as Vern described. Also, only caps number 3 and 6 have the timing mark incised into them. Not a wasted cover gasket, though, as I discovered I'd put the #2 cap on backwards, before I started the engine.

Thanks all for the help!

·
16,232 Posts
Sounds like, for whatever reason, someone other that Alfa stamped those numbers into the head. Alfa stamped only one number; the number 1 to designate the front cap on the exhaust side. Cap #s 1 & 6 were factory stamped with the timing marks, not #3 (which should be located at the rear on the exhaust side).
I'll post some pics (if I can find any).

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very likely -- this motor is a real mutt. I bought it in a 58 750 Spider. It had a tiny flywheel with a long, skinny Lucas starter (to get close enough for the starter pinion to reach the flywheel), early-number 40 DCOE 2,s with a fairly late airbox, some kind of 106-series cams with unknown numbers and letters scribed into them, an early intake manifold, JF-4 distributor and correct Veloce headers, all on a 502 series block. I exchanged the flywheel and starter for the standard 101 (Bosch starter) items I had on my 101 Spider (my dad had an MG TD and a Lotus Elite -- all the experience I wanted with Lucas electrics) and have used it for almost 30 years. I may never figure it all out, but it is very strong and I love it.

Thanks again --

·
16,232 Posts
Well, I couldn't find any pics. Nor could I find any reference to cap numbering in a number user, tech specs and workshop manuals I looked through. But it got me wondering. Were 1600 engines, or just certain engine types, numbered differently? Curious. What is your engine type?

·
Registered
6,808 Posts
Just looked at the original motor from my '67 GTV. It also just has a 1 stamped by the front ex. cap. and none next to the others.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sometimes it seems that some early Alfas were built according to how the manufacturing crew felt that day! As to the question of motor type, mine is such a bitsa that I'm not sure if the head is original to the block, which is numbered 502*16355*. The numbers on the front of the head are 10500-01500-00. Is there any way to know if these match up? As I described earlier, the intake and exhaust manifolds and the camshafts appear to be from other engines.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have four 750 series Giuliettas, all the heads are stamped with the same style numbered font for cam bearing cap location as described in my initial post. I think this was a factory placed mark on 750 series engines, not sure about later 101 or 105 models.

Vern in Oregon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts