Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I have a set of Campy 5 spoke wheels that I purchased online some time ago for my '72 GTV. I just went to get tires mounted and found out that one of the wheels has a hairline crack about an inch long starting at the outside edge and into the bead. Question is; can this be repaired? I have a shop in town that can do some amazing aluminum welding but I'm not sure what the alloy is on these wheels. 6jx14 H2 standard wheel off of an '82 spider.

Thanks,
Tony

·
Super Moderator
12,191 Posts
Yes, both light alloy and actual magnesium wheels can be repaired by a shop that specializes in either alloy wheel repair or magnesium welding and repair. DO NOT go with a shop that offers "Oh yea, we can fix up your mag wheels", unless you want to risk your life. This is a specialized fix, and needs be done by a shop that knows the materials, as well as correct repair techniques. From my experience.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi,

Thanks for the reply. I understand the risk hence why I asked. The shop does specialty welding and did a bell housing starter mount break for me that has lasted more than 6 years. I'll go see what they say about it.

Regards,
Tony

·
Super Moderator
12,191 Posts
Just deal with the guys that have done this type repair over time. If they have been doing it a while, they should know what it's all about.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts