Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

after a few years search i got lucky and snaged a cheap deal on turbinas,
but they are in horrible state (the previous owner "painted" them just before selling) - see the pics...

my plan with them is to sand the hell out of them and than give them to a good spray shop to paint them...

please help me with:
-i see some are opting for powder coating, what will be the advantiges over "normal" primer,colour,lacker ?
-which sikens coulour code is the closest to the original?

have you refurbished yours? how did you do it?
which paint?
any pictures of finished product?

thank you, BR, M

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
I had mine prepped (dipped) by the powder coater. They had to be very careful not to remove much metal as these things are really light to begin with. They exposed some pitting on the backside of two of the wheels because I believe my car was wet on one side of the car for some time while sitting in a barn. But we went ahead and powder coated and clear coated them with a color that closely matched the original color. Mine turned out great but I am a little leary of using them on a daily basis because of the pitting and the fact that they are so light. In summary I think a powder coater experienced with lightweight mag or alloy wheels should be of great help to you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cabikefreak, you sandblasted them first, right?
Do you know what they used for blasting?
And the powdercoating was just for the "base" and than spraypaint?

·
Premium Member
979 Posts
m789 - I am sorry to say I don't know if they soda blasted and then prepped by dipping or just straight to the dipping. It was so long ago that I cannot really ask them at this point because they process dozens of loads every day. I think they clear coated directly over the powder coat but I could be wrong on that too! Sorry!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have sprayed a few sets of wheels before. Spraying is definitely much more time consuming and hard on something with so many facets, like the turbinas. It is not quite as durable as a powder coat. A base/clear application should be plenty durable for a weekend car though. (I Painted a friend of mines NSX Wheels with PPG Base clear like 3 years ago and they are still just perfect and he daily drives it.) The up side of auto paint is you can really get super specific with colors and the finish is a bit nicer and finer. I would strip the wheels for painting with a product called Aircraft Striper made by KleenStrip. In my years in the Automotive Paint Supply world I found that this is the most effective product. and Don't forget to use an etch primer before the primer. Really, you don't need to pay a shop to do it, even if you don't have a gun. Any good auto paint store will be able to put any color you want in a spray can. and they spray really nice and even!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Wheels America or someone similar will refurbish any wheels (even straighten ,IIRC) for little more than $100. Usually next day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.