·
Premium Member
4,528 Posts
Bicycle part.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my wife says I have to go on the bike more often.
so maybe I see what kind of parts there are on a bike.

·
Premium Member
14,002 Posts
This is the item that launched Tullio Campagnolo's business. It revolutionized bicycle racing, facilitating quick easy gear/wheel changes.
Exactly, his first of many inventions and patents.

·
Registered
5,485 Posts
Campy has the absolute best back in the day. I had a 531 Reynolds frame with all Campy Super Record hardware - brakes, wheels, crankset, front and rear derailleur. Bike was light, strong and fast. 1970’s

·
Premium Member
14,002 Posts
I have a 1986 Pinarello that was in a neglected state when I bought it. Surprisingly the OE components were Shimano. No way that I was going to ride an Italian bike with Japanese components and now it is all Campy. I have a more modern, lighter, carbon fiber bike with Dura Ace but I rarely ride it. Nothing shifts like Campy and no modern frame is as comfortable as a high end steel frame

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I have a 1986 Pinarello that was in a neglected state.....

....no modern frame is as comfortable as a high end steel frame
Pinarello’s were sweet. I have a 2006 Colnago Master Light steel with Campy Chorus 10 gruppo. Carbon seat post, fork, and steerer. It is a great joy every time I ride it. Much like my Duetto - just right!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Ha, I'm in the process of upgrading an 80's Italian bike to index shifting so I've been scoping Ebay and bike forums for used Campy parts and then I see this thread. I've been cycling during the quarantine and it's been great with almost no traffic in Los Angeles. I'm really going to miss when the traffic returns as even the few cars on the road now don't give a cyclist much room!
But so far the new Campy front derailleur is working great, much nicer than the 80's Campy 980 derailleur. And I have a Chorus rear derailleur with carbon fiber coming. Still need to source some 10 speed Ergo levers and all the supporting cables, chain, and a rear wheel.
All of the older Campy components are so beautiful; my personal favorite is the Chorus/Athena brakes from the 90's. I will just stare at them sometimes as they're a functional sculpture.
If only these beautiful bikes had great sounding engines like our cars...
Oh, wait, that's a Ducati!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all the reactions....

I did not think of so many reactions for such small part.
now I have my first part of building my own bike.:unsure:

and I am in a country with so many bikes....
i grew up in the time of Raleigh bikes.
maybe it is a sign to buy a racing bike again...

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
My first road bike at 13 was a Raleigh.

Superloaf - try Wright Bros Cycle Works in Seattle....

Recycled Cycles in Seattle....

Hellgate Cyclery in Missoula MT....

Velo Mine

·
Premium Member
635 Posts
My first road bike at 13 was a Raleigh.

Superloaf - try Wright Bros Cycle Works in Seattle....

Recycled Cycles in Seattle....

Hellgate Cyclery in Missoula MT....

Velo Mine
thanks for all the reactions....

I did not think of so many reactions for such small part.
now I have my first part of building my own bike.:unsure:

and I am in a country with so many bikes....
i grew up in the time of Raleigh bikes.
maybe it is a sign to buy a racing bike again...
That is really funny. Thanks for the humour!

·
Registered
123 Posts
In 1982 my friends and I rode from Boston to San Francisco. I rode a Reynolds 531 frame, built from tubes and lugs that I cut, mitered and brazed myself, and built it out with Campy Record gruppo. It was a heavy tank but it never failed. Only 1 flat in 4200 miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 Posts
I know exactly what you're talking about! My sons bike is made from Reynolds tubing. I've never ridden across the country. It must be a life changing experience.

·
Registered
123 Posts
It was! People were awesome, letting us pitch our tent in their yard, doing our laundry, feeding us...a different era.

·
Premium Member
14,002 Posts
In 1982 my friends and I rode from Boston to San Francisco. I rode a Reynolds 531 frame, built from tubes and lugs that I cut, mitered and brazed myself, and built it out with Campy Record gruppo. It was a heavy tank but it never failed. Only 1 flat in 4200 miles.
Very impressive.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I believe that the part is called a quick release hub LEVER. Campy was the ****! First RECORD, and then SUPER RECORD components. I used to go to the International Bicycle Shows in the Convention Center in NYC in the 70's. Masi, Colnago, Pinarello, all Italian beauties.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I have a Reynolds 531 built Gitane from 1973. Been in the family since new. Chrome lugs, white, chrome forks. Great riding bike. I took it on a long (supported) tour once, over the Continental Divide and back three times. Commuted with fenders in the rain in Seattle for many years. Still has the original Stronglight crank with totally rounded teeth.

My B-I-L has an old skool Masi.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts