Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I bought a 1966 GT Veloce i bought in August, which had 7kx14 magnesium GTA-wheels (NOT REPLICAS, already had a thread here about it, and 90% of you fine people agreed it was the proper thing.). Now i just want to get something sorted, or a couple of things:

1) Is it true that the GTA Corsa and Stradale (buyable versions) had the 6x14 Campagnolos, while the works Autodeltas had 7x14 rims?

2) I'm currently running modern A539 Yokohamas sized 195/60R14 but looking for a more vintage look. So Alfaholics recommended Avon CCZ6RR in 185/70-size. But that only works for rims between 5.5 and 6.5 inch wide. Any recommendations for 7 inch wide wheels?

Kind regards,
*Robert

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Stradale usually had 6x14 and Corsa or any race prepped car, especially in the later years had 7x14. There were 6.5x14 and 8x14 as well but those are uncommon.

As for the Avons they fit on the 7x14 rims very well and the car drives exceptionally well with them. They are quite a wide and tall casing with overall dimensions not that dissimilar to the original Dunlop 5.50L race tire that was originally used on the 7x14 rim. If anything, the Avons are a little bit wider.

Make sure you check clearance on the GT on the rear outer wheel wells with the 7x14 running 185/70 Avons - they are a pretty meaty tire and the GT does not have a lot of clearance. especially if lowered.

Hi!

I bought a 1966 GT Veloce i bought in August, which had 7kx14 magnesium GTA-wheels (NOT REPLICAS, already had a thread here about it, and 90% of you fine people agreed it was the proper thing.). Now i just want to get something sorted, or a couple of things:

1) Is it true that the GTA Corsa and Stradale (buyable versions) had the 6x14 Campagnolos, while the works Autodeltas had 7x14 rims?

2) I'm currently running modern A539 Yokohamas sized 195/60R14 but looking for a more vintage look. So Alfaholics recommended Avon CCZ6RR in 185/70-size. But that only works for rims between 5.5 and 6.5 inch wide. Any recommendations for 7 inch wide wheels?

Kind regards,
*Robert

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you very much for your reply! Mine is a tad lower and as you mentioned it seems a tight fit, atleast in the rear well. I added Alfaholics nice "barnfind" to illustrate the look i'm after!

Will think about it!

Oh, when i think about it, i just realised that I do own 5 Campagnolos, maybe i'll just buy 1 Avon to test on the 5th wheel to see the clearence!

Kind regards,
Robert

Stradale usually had 6x14 and Corsa or any race prepped car, especially in the later years had 7x14. There were 6.5x14 and 8x14 as well but those are uncommon.

As for the Avons they fit on the 7x14 rims very well and the car drives exceptionally well with them. They are quite a wide and tall casing with overall dimensions not that dissimilar to the original Dunlop 5.50L race tire that was originally used on the 7x14 rim. If anything, the Avons are a little bit wider.

Make sure you check clearance on the GT on the rear outer wheel wells with the 7x14 running 185/70 Avons - they are a pretty meaty tire and the GT does not have a lot of clearance. especially if lowered.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
That GTA has high arches - yours has low arches. Maybe find another picture on their site.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats news to me! Would you please explain further? What models had the high or low arches? Why? Which years?

That GTA has high arches - yours has low arches. Maybe find another picture on their site.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Pancho will probably better explain it, but sometime mid 67 towards the end of their run the stepfront GT Veloces started to get high rear arches (mine does). Better clearance for rear tyres but the low arch definitely gives that vintage look.

Nice wheels BTW!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Simple. 1600 gta basically all low arches. However, because this causes trouble in racing, a great many have changed to high arches. To create space for the dunlop racings. It is allowed in historic racing as U2TC.
All 1300 gta from 68 high arches from factory. Late 1600, non 613 chassis numbers, use late 1300gta bodies hence high arches.

Being Alfa, this is not the gospel, but take it from me this is about it.

So, a low arch, lowered gta on the correct high Dunlop racing tire has a problem.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies! I will probably stick to my modern Yokohamas for now then :(

·
Registered
17 Posts
@ allegerita:
Glad you mentioned using 6x14 wheels as an alternative. Is this something you've done? would you recommend a dunlop cr65 at 4.50L in that case? or 5.00L? I'm looking to do this exact fitment.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I have run 7x14 with Dunlop 5.50L-14 with high arches (late 1600GTA) that have been rolled - rolling is not necessary for that wheel/tire combo as far as can make out. Low arches commonly have run 6x14 with 5.50L-14. For 7x14 and 5.50M-14 you commonly need FIA rear flares and it can get tight up front as well if the car is lowered a lot. However, in European historic racing it was not uncommon to run 6x14 with 5.50M-14 with low arches that had been rolled and pulled and otherwise massaged. 4.50-15 is a good size for a Giulietta and 5.00-15 a god size for a TI Super. GT's always ran Dunlop 5.50-14 in either L or M cross section.

FWIW, unless you are doing it for concours on a race GTA or you are required to run Dunlops by your race rules I cannot see a reason to run them other than period looks. They are brutal road tires (not legal to boot), Hoosiers are way faster if that's what you are into. Otherwise, there are now two great tires available for road use: Avon CR6ZZ and Pirelli CN36. If the car sees occasional track use the Avons are perfect.

BTW, watch the offset on different 6x14. Original wheels had 38mm that maximizes clearance with low fender line butwhich will interfere with the steering arms on non GTA or later model suspension - 1/4 spacer on front wheels is needed then.

@ allegerita:
Glad you mentioned using 6x14 wheels as an alternative. Is this something you've done? would you recommend a dunlop cr65 at 4.50L in that case? or 5.00L? I'm looking to do this exact fitment.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the detailed information, i've gone with the Pirelli's and 6x14s as you've suggested. I'll post pics here for everyone's reference when they arrive!
Looking forward to that!

Skickat från min SM-G930F via Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes, standard rear suspension. Plenty of clearance (in the arches) to lower the back 1-2 inches. Front is already as low as my local roads will permit.

·
Registered
328 Posts
GTV and GTA rims and tires

Based on AR official papers, and specific book on identification, GTA was provided with 165x14 Pirelli Cinturato HR tires on 6x14 alloy Campagnolo rims, in its standard Stradale version, that remained unchanged through all production life. Competition, Corsa version, was born with same 6x14 rims but with Dunlop racing 5.00L SC65 or on larger rims 6,50x14/7x14, were used 5.50L SC65 tires, during its homologation life in Group 2. The rear fenders were of so called “low” type, and for accommodation of larger, 5.50L tires, and in presence of DRC (Slittone), that reduced even more manoeuvring space of the wheel, blister arches were homologated (FIA 1395 D/V from 01.07.1967), or generally “high” arches (from GTAJ) were adopted on 848 series. The 1750 GTV in all its versions (Mk I and Mk II) showed only “high” arches in official brochures and manuals, and tires are always 165x14 Pirelli Cinturato R or HR on steel 6x14 rims.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts