Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, car was hit on front left wheel/fender which then pushed me into a curb. So now I have some positive camber on one of the front wheels and I'm wondering how much is correctable by using shims at the alignment shop?

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
Depends on how much deformation there is to the frame. Then where are they going to be mounted? The limiting factor that I can see is how long the bolts are that hold the suspension to the body. To get a shim(s) in there and to make sure the nut is secure will be up to the alignment shop.
Have you taken it to a frame shop to see if it can be pulled back to factory spec? It is amazing what a smart guy on a pulling machine is able to do. In some cases better than it came from the factory as these alignment frames have lasers.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
But just wondering the full adjustment possible using shims? Has anyone ever used shims on their Milano? All the cars I've ever owned have had adjustable camber so I'm not very familiar with the shim method. Camber seems to be always in need of adjustment so not sure why an engineer would go with shims but maybe using shims creates a car in which the camber stays where it should be. Does your Milano usually need camber adjustment or does it stay in range?

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
I would say if it is more than the thickest shim a shop carries in stock, you are in serious need of a frame alignment. I would guess that a 1/2" is pretty large. My 101 Veloce had a couple of 1/4" shims installed between the frame and lower A-arms. Once it was set correctly, the car drove itself without much input to keep it straight. The 105 cars use adjustable upper arms to compensate for camber and caster rods.

·
Premium Member
13,174 Posts
I have a box of shims and the thicknesses are 1/8", 1/16", 1/32" and 1/64'. You can install more than one but using 4 of them would be dodgy. If you decide to go that route I suggest making additional pedestal pieces out of heavy gauge pipe and then use shims to fine tune the camber. You could replace the bolts with lengths of threaded rod which is what many people do when the fit big torsion bars. I can give you more detail on that if you need it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts